I hated to interrupt her, "What did you say about Steve?"

Patel looked like the mention of his name exhausted her. "He got arrested for a DUI a couple years ago, and it was his third strike so he's been serving time. He was discharged -" she exhaled sharply, "It's been four months Derrick. Four months and he's been out."

My skin ran cold, "What do you mean he's out there? Even if he is, what does any of it have to do with me?" Impossibly, my hands were shaking, and I found myself afraid.

"He threatened you when he got convicted for endangerment, abuse and neglect of a child all those years ago. He threatened you in open court, and we didn't think anything of it then but I think you're in danger."

"It's been four months since my accident and nothing's happened to me. I think I'm fine, Priya. Maybe you were overreacting."

Patel shook her head sadly. She looked at Mike, "Did you tell him?"

I turned on Mike, "Tell me what?"

Mike didn't say anything, not looking at me and Patel continued, "He filed a police report because someone tried to break into his house last week. The prints came back from the lab as a match for Barlow. If he knows where Miguel lives then he probably knows where you live, too, Derrick."

I felt nauseous. I stumbled to the couch, my hands shaking as I got my iV stand, finding a vein and injecting myself. The magic plasma flowed quickly through the tubes, filling up the sac at a faster rate than it usually did.

I sat slumped over not yet willing to address the fact Mike was keeping secrets from me. I put my face in my hands rubbing my temples, "What does this mean?"

Mike's voice was shaky, "Steve got out four months ago and you're only telling him now?"

"I only found out today alright?" Patel's voice was snappish, "I just have a bad feeling about all this." she took out a picture from inside her jacket. "This is the car Steve was using four months ago. Have either of you seen it?"

She showed me a clear picture of a car at different angles, and then one with Steve actually inside. His hair was thinning but it was him alright. I shook my head. Maybe this whole thing was ridiculous, why would Steve be after me anyways? Whatever had happened, happened years ago.

Mike gripped the back of a couch with his hand so hard it was turning white at the knuckles. "Fuck," he swore fiercely, "Fuck. Fuck. Fuck."

Patel paled, "When did you see it?"

Mike swallowed loudly, "The car. This was the car."

I felt like I already knew but I had to ask anyways. I was clenching my hand so hard my nails had turned pale, "What car?" Before he responded I already felt like the ground was slipping out from under me.

Mike's face was scrunched up in pain like he was remembering something awful, "The car that hit you."

#

Our day descended into madness after that. Priya insisted we go and make proper statements at the police station but I was in some kind of fugue. I couldn't believe he had hit me. I couldn't stop staring at the picture, screwing my eyes in concentration and still unable to remember. Steve has ruined my life before, how could he still be ruining it?