Chapter 37

I stared at Ryder.

Ryder stared back at me.

I blinked. He blinked back.

Did I hear him correctly?

He had a blank look on his face, as he waited for me to answer his question.

Should I tell him the truth?

There's a chance that all the people present in the room will start hating me, after knowing my truth.

All of a sudden, Peter left the room, trying to give us some privacy.

Cole stopped rubbing my back as well.

Jessica had an unreadable expression on her face as she stared at me.

Sam and Chase looked confused.

Blake had a look of disbelief on his face.

Brody and Cole had a blank expression on thier faces.

I sighed.

It's time to lie.

"You see, I did have a boyfriend named James, but he isn't the one you're talking about. We broke up just before I moved to this town." I explained.

Ryder sighed.

He wasn't buying it.

He might look like an idiot, but surely he isn't.

"Why do you think I told you about James and Christian that day when you came to my house?" He asked me, quietly.

To be honest, I don't know.

"I don't think I know." I said, staring at him, waiting for an answer.

"Because, I knew that other than Christian, you recognised everyone in that photo." He said, causing my eyes to go wide.

He knew?

"I don't know." I mumbled under my breath.

"Yes you do. The other day, when Antony told me that you already knew James, I didn't believe him, but now, your best friend just confirmed that you know." He said, referring to Tyler.

Damn it, Antony!

I sighed.

There is no point for me to lie anymore. He knows the truth and he hates me.

"What exactly do you want to know?" I asked him, straight to the point.

Jessica looked at me as if I  told her that she was going to die.

"Are you kidding me?! This can't be possible...please tell me they all are lying...you can't be the girl who broke James' heart...this is not right...you were James' girlfriend...how...why..." Jessica started shouting at me angrily but till the time she finished, she was crying.

"But, this is the truth. I used James and then threw him away." I said, Nonchalantly, staring at absolutely nothing.

"No! You aren't that slut I was told about. You're great...unlike what people were telling about the girl who broke James' heart. This is...insane." She continued crying and Brody was consoling her, trying to calm her down.

I felt my heart ache.

"What were you told about...the girl who broke James' heart?" I asked to no one particular.