Chapter 04

"That can't be true," Flippy muttered. He'd be lying to himself if he said he hadn't seen this coming. Last night, Flaky opted to sleep in the guest room. She said her body was sore, she couldn't risk sleeping in a bed with someone else. Flippy didn't think much of it. She'd gone into several periods of hiding and solitude in the past. Her anxiety made her do it, that was it.

Still, he was gutted by the news Giggles had just delivered.

She smiled as sympathetically as she could, "I'm so sorry Flippy."

Every inch of Giggles wanted to run away, sitting this close to him was a form of self harm. She'd chosen a very public park bench as their meeting spot, but no part of her was really safe. No one knew she was here with Flippy, she'd promised to keep this conversation a secret for Flaky. It wasn't the secret that scared Giggles. Any little thing could set Flippy off – birds chirping the wrong song in the sky, or a passing ice cream truck breaking too suddenly. She'd be dead in an instant. Flayed across the ground on this beautiful, Spring morning. Still, she had to make good on her promise.

"No... you're joking, right? She's kidding, okay... she has to be. Why wouldn't she tell me herself?"

Flippy shrunk back into the bench, knowing already the answer to his own question. Giggles shook her head, taking his hands into her lap. They were cold. The weather was a bit too chilly for May, and goosebumps dotted her arms. She looked at him as seriously, but as compassionately, as the Tree would allow her.

"I'm sorry Flippy, I don't think she was joking."

"She had to be..."

Giggles didn't say anything. Gleeful shrieks filled the air as little children ran across the grass. Older kids chased after them. Off the grass and to the side, parents were arguing loudly enough for them to hear. Giggles' hands tensed.

Don't set him off.

There was a bluetooth speaker booming obnoxiously not too far away, the bass creating rhythmic, muted thuds. A volleyball was smacked above a net, over and over.

Don't set him off.

She saw tears well in Flippy's eyes. He leaned over to hug her, his forehead leaning against her shoulder. Dampening it.

Don't set him off.

"What am I going to do," he whimpered, his voice breaking. "She's everything to me."

Giggles placed her hand over his head. Carefully, slowly, she stroked his hair.

"It'll be okay, Flippy. She's just a bit scared. But she'll come around."

"Of course she's scared... I've hurt her so much."

"You wouldn't hurt anyone, that wasn't you Flippy."

"But it is me," he sat up suddenly and looked at her. Giggles flinched instinctively, and he laughed dryly. "See? I've killed her, and you, and everyone else in this town."

"It's the curse, Flippy," against her better judgment, Giggles grabbed his hands again more firmly.

He glanced down at her hands, staring at them for a moment. "Why aren't you scared of me?"

Oh, but she was. Giggles was terrified of him. But also, Giggles was terrified for him.

"Because I understand you."

Flippy leaned in, presumably for another hug. It wasn't until his eyes centered on hers and he tilted his head, that Giggles realized he was going to kiss her.

She wanted to pull away and slap him. She didn't want this. She wanted to go home, she wanted Splendid to save her. But he didn't come, and Giggles didn't pull away. She didn't know if it was her fear that paralyzed her, or the Tree, or her fear of the Tree.