Chapter 22

Flaky smoothed a piece of paper onto a telephone pole, placing a neat strip of tape on each corner to hold it up.

The paper read:

GIGGLES

5'7". 155lbs.

Last seen: 123 Tree Street, around 2am.

Wearing red dress, black Mary Janes and white socks. Red bow.

Please contact Splendid at (123) 456-7890

A photo of her bright, cheery smile took up most of the paper, right underneath the bold, red letters: MISSING PERSON.

A group of them– Splendid, Cuddles, Flippy, and some others– had spent all morning and afternoon handing out flyers. They put them up on walls and storefronts, asked friends and neighbors if they knew where Giggles might have disappeared to, shoved them into open mailboxes.

Flaky was almost done with her stack; she was in charge of taping flyers all around the North side of town– it didn't involve any talking or socializing, so she was happy to help.

With a satisfied nod, Flaky put up the next flyer just down the street. Suddenly, there was a gentle tap on her shoulder. Flaky screamed, threw her hands up in the air. The papers went flying above her head. She clutched her chest as they floated down in every direction, Petunia's face peeking out from behind as they scattered on the ground.

"Sorry!" Flaky said quickly, dropping to her knees immediately to gather up the papers, "I didn't mean to scream... you frightened me, so sorry."

Petunia bent down and took her wrists, bringing Flaky back up to her feet.

She took one of the crushed flyers in Flaky's hand, opened it, confirmed her suspicions.

"Oh, Flaky..." she said softly. "Why are you out here?"

Flaky gave her a puzzled look, "I want to help find Giggles," she said.

There was a long pause, silence between them. It would have been so easy to tell her. To tell her about Flippy's affair. But she held back. 

"Maybe Giggles just doesn't want to be found," said Petunia, finally. "Maybe she's too ashamed to show her face."

"Ashamed?"

Petunia bit her lip.

"I'm scared for her," Flaky said. "It's been over a week."

"Scared? Of what? It's not like she's dead somewhere."

She didn't seem convinced.

"The thing is..." Flaky said softly, barely above a whisper. "Back at the Cafe... I feel like she was trying to tell us something."

"What do you mean?"

"Well... lately, whenever she talks about Cuddles... it's always in this vague, 'can we move on from this subject' kind of way. She darts her eyes and hides her phone. I think she's hiding how she really feels, and I bet Cuddles has something to do with it..."

It surprised Petunia, Flaky's conviction, the secure, even tone of her voice.

"How can you be sure?"

"I'm not... it's just, I have a strong feeling. I'm worried Cuddles has done something to her."

Petunia shook her head, handed Flaky back the flyer.

"She doesn't deserve a friend like you," Petunia said. She turned around, began walking away.

"Why won't you help us look for her? Why are you being so cold..."

Petunia thought she heard Flaky sniffle, but she didn't turn around.