Chapter 28: Caress

Start from the beginning

He came into the kitchen as she finished up, "Hi."

Oh Devi Maiyya.

Her voice wobbled as she responded, "H-how was your day at the office?"

"Long," he leaned against the counter, watching her intently as she packed up, "even without the international call."

She handed him the cup, "Coffee?"

Accepting it with a small smile, he took a sip before placing it beside him on the counter.

"You know you don't have to do this, right? There are lots of people in this house who are paid to do things like this."

"I'm your wife," she took half a step towards him, "it's my right."

He smiled at the echo of his words from this morning, "Okay then, Wife, tell me what happened with Shukla."

She launched into an explanation of how she and Shukla-ji had decided to share the burden of the dabba service. He would take charge of the shopping and delivery, leaving her free to prepare menus and cook.

"Sounds like everything worked out," Arnav-ji drained his coffee.

Settling next to him, she rested her weight on the countertop as she drank from her cup, "Yes. And Nani-ji gave her blessing for the business, so now everything's fine."

"Hmm," turning, he used a light finger to tuck a curl of hair behind her ear, "okay."

"Wh-what ... are you ..."

"Ssshhh," he soothed, now tracing her cheek, "Thank you for the coffee."

Her mind struggled for an explanation for this sudden change in demeanour.

Maybe someone is watching us.

Arnav-ji stepped forward just as she thought to look. His eyes didn't leave hers as his hands came up to rest on the countertop, trapping her where she stood. Her gaze dropped to his shoulder. She inhaled the soft, earthy scent of him every breath, her heart hammering and palms suddenly sweaty. Though a part of her was aware that he was only doing this because someone was watching their every move, it seemed that her thoughts had frozen.

"At least pretend that you like me," his murmur brought her back to the present.

Some emotion squeezed at her chest as she nodded. Khushi stared up at her husband, noting vaguely that his hair was getting too long. Her fingers trembled against the soft fabric of his waistcoat. He gave a soft sound of approval that set her aflame.

He leaned forward, so near that he was sure to hear the rapid thunder of her pulse, and then his eyes dropped to her mouth as her lips parted. His gaze seemed to darken. She suddenly felt light-headed with his nearness.

Afterwards, she would claim that she forgot. That the pressure of keeping up so many pretences had frazzled her thoughts. That she had, momentarily, been unable to tell the difference between Real and Not Real.

It took the slightest movement, the smallest tilt of her head and hips and shoulders, and then her lips brushed against his.

A moment passed, a moment in which she didn't even dare draw breath, and then he dipped his head to do the same. She was instantly filled with warmth and electricity. Her fingers twisted into his clothes as he grazed her mouth with his, the action surer than when she had done it. But he did not kiss her, not in the way she'd imagined him kissing her since that encounter last Diwali.

Arnav-ji straightened, and it seemed that the world came rushing back in the next instant — the quiet murmur of conversation, the muted din of Delhi traffic. They stared at one another for a beat before he offered his hand.