Chapter 28: Caress

Start from the beginning

"Khushi," his call stopped her. "Come and sit down."

She looked down at her list and up at him, conflicted.

"Sit," he frowned.

"Okay, okay, I'm sitting."

Arnav-ji spoke as she settled opposite him after placing her burdens on the floor, "How is your day going?"

"After shopping for all the vegetables and supplies, I cooked all the food in the canteen. Then I put it all into the containers. I have so much left to do, and I still have to order things for tomorrow."

"Relax," he smiled, "Breathe."

"No, you don't understand! All the food is already finished. But the carrots weren't that good, that vendor is going to—"

"—Khushi—"

"—What did we decide last night? KKGSR Dabba Service? I have to get business cards printed. I'll ask Jija-ji to help me."

Arnav-ji stood abruptly, rounding the table in three quick strides to tower over her. She looked away, suddenly unable to breathe.

In one smooth movement, he pushed her chair backwards and leaned in, "Khushi, look at me."

She did. He was close, so close that she would only have to lean up to kiss him.

Suddenly she couldn't think of anything else. Heat gathered in places it had never pooled before she'd met him.

"Done?" Arnav-ji asked softly.

Khushi nodded, giving herself a mental shake.

"We have a small problem," he continued, "Shukla, the man who runs the canteen now, is upset that you've stolen his business."

"Oh."

Immediately, she felt wretched that she hadn't thought of the man.

"Don't worry, I'll talk to him this afternoon."

Shaking her head, Khushi placed her hand on Arnav-ji's chest. "I'll talk to him."

"I don't—"

"—I want to do this," she interrupted his protest, "I'll talk to Shukla-ji. I'm sure there's a solution."

"Khushi, you don't know this world of negotiations and contracts."

"I'm a sweet-maker's daughter and a businessman's wife," she poked his chest, "I know enough."

Though he tried to scowl, Arnav-ji couldn't stop one corner of his mouth from tilting into a smile.

"Okay, but I'll intervene if I see a need to."

"You won't need to, you'll see."

#####

The afternoon found Khushi in the kitchen, helping the servants pick what they would have for dinner. Arnav-ji's had called to say that his international teleconference had been postponed.

Her heart leapt in her chest as the front door opened.

He's home.

She took a deep breath, trying to ignore the tremours that ran through her body. The memory of his hands, their exquisite heat at her waist, sent a jolt of electricity through her. The low rumble of his voice as he spoke to Hari Prakash-ji reminded her of the husk of his voice as he'd spoken that morning.

"I'm your husband. It's my right."

Husband.

She put some water on to boil and readied two cups on the counter before standing on her toes to reach the canister of coffee. Hari Prakash-ji had taught her to make it just the way Arnav-ji took it. Black, no sugar.