fifteen: the truce

"So who took it up the butt?"

"Shut up, McIntyre," Matt groaned.

Logan snickered and reached up from where he lay in the grass to whack Matt on the shoulder. "You can tell me, dude. I promise I won't laugh if it was you. Well, I guess I might laugh a little.  Or a lot. Okay, no promises."

Matt just rolled his eyes and stuffed his water bottle back into his bag. Pulling off his hat, he scrubbed a hand through his sweaty hair. A gentle breeze brushed pleasantly cool against the damp back of his t-shirt.

"Dude," Logan whined, shading his eyes against the lowering sun. "You're really not gonna tell me? Is it 'cause you were too pussy to say anything and nothing happened?"

When Matt just stared at him, one eyebrow lifting slowly, Logan huffed out an annoyed sound.

"Come on. Did he sleep in your bed and wake up to your awkward boner? Did you suck face? You at least told him that you wanna bone him, right?"

"Stop fishing," Matt said, sucking in a laugh. "Quinn doesn't want me to talk about it."

"Ha!" Logan pushed up with a gleeful grin. "So something did happen."

"Uh, I mean," Matt floundered. "Crap."

"Don't feel bad," Logan said in a concilatory tone offset jarringly by that smug smile. "You know that you always tell me things if I really want you to."

"I'm serious, Mack," Matt begged. "Quinn wants to keep it a secret for now."

Logan scoffed. "As if you guys aren't so frickin' obvious."

Matt shrugged and squashed his hat back over his hair. "It's important to him."

"Well, it's important to me to know whether my best friend is getting pounded in the butt," Logan retorted, chuckling.

Matt huffed in some embarrassed laughter. "Just don't say anything, okay?"

"Okay, dude, jeez, I won't say anything," Logan agreed, rolling his eyes hard. "Is he even gonna be here today or what? Is he too scared of big bad Logan?"

"He's coming after his shift."

"He's coming, huh?" Logan smirked. "Without your help?"

Matt kicked him in the shin.

"Owww," Logan whined. Twisting his hat backwards, he asked casually, "Is he bringing Jenn?"

"Why, 'cause you wanna drool at her all night without actually talking to her?" Matt asked dryly.

Logan punched him in the shoulder. "Shut up, Matt. Just 'cause you're banging your emo boy now doesn't mean you get to make fun of me for being single."

"Oh, yeah? Like how you spent the entire last year making fun of me for being a virgin, you mean?"

Logan laughed out loud. "Yeah, dude. This stuff doesn't work both ways. Are you still a virgin?"

"Stop it," Matt laughed, rubbing at the back of his tingling neck as his thoughts ambled promptly back over to Quinn and what they had done that morning. He was glad he had an excuse not to answer Logan's question, because he didn't even know what the right answer was.

It wasn't like they'd had sex sex, but Matt definitely wasn't as much of a virgin as he had been the day before. It felt strange to think that. Matt had imagined maybe he should feel changed somehow, more mature. Instead he just couldn't stop thinking about what Quinn looked like naked.

It had been thoroughly mortifying when his parents had tried to have 'the talk' with him, over dinner, with Angie sitting right there, with his parents talking circles around the details and his dad awkwardly trying to explain safe sex practices even though he clearly had very little idea what he was talking about and the whole time Matt kept thinking about how Quinn had tasted. It had been excruciating. At least with Logan he knew what to expect: crude and vulgar.