The Nexus

"You don't have to stay," Seven says, green eyes staring straight at one wall, sitting with his back against another. There's a lot of that sentence that he's just left out. Like, '...just because I am,' or '...Because I can do this myself.' But he doesn't say it aloud, and it's not my gift to read minds. The unsaid things will stay unsaid.

"I made my choice," I respond, letting him guess about the rest of that as much as he makes everyone else have to.

Ezekiel picks up on it, and he can't hide the way his lips twitch ever-so-slightly upward. Then that faint smile fades, and his brows knit together in a frown. "Three's sugar-coating things," he says, "Six will be in uproar. Because of both me being human, and you being 'taken.' He got quite attached to you."

I keep my face neutral, pacing across the room to my own corner. I slide wordlessly to the floor, fiddling with the zipper on my black jacket. It's been a while in these clothes - it would probably be nice to get changed.

"Rain," he says softly, and my eyes snap to his, "Why won't you talk to me?"

'Maybe because this is what you do to everyone else,' I think, etching the words on my features. He can't read minds, either, so he only sighs, rubbing his eyes a little.

"Look, I'm sorry I kissed you," he says, a little unexpectedly. He's looking towards the floor with his head in his hands, and I can tell he's trying to hide the red flush across his cheeks and ears, "Without warning, without consent, I- I didn't mean to, I don't know what came over me. It was a lot to reveal that I'm human, and I'm still a bit freaked out, and I..." he sighs, rubbing his face again as if he can wipe the blush away, "It was a spur-of-the-moment thing."

He's trying to say, 'It didn't mean anything.'

My response is as cold as I suddenly feel.

"Alright."

We sit in the tense quiet of all the things we could be saying, but aren't. I slowly fall into another memory.

~~~

The long grass trembles in the wind of the nearing storm. The sound is a soothing whisper against the distant growl of oncoming thunder. Dark clouds, brewing on the horizon, and yet never quite reaching us. I wait for lightning to split the sky - I want it to feel what I feel.
Ezekiel's family have all their belongings loaded up into the back of a wagon, and it's finally time to say our goodbyes. The only other house for miles, sitting empty just a couple of hills away, ready and waiting should they ever get tired of the city life.

"Don't miss us too much," Dad laughs, mussing Andrew's white hair. The man bats dads hand away with expert ease, twisting him swiftly into a headlock. "Okay, okay!" Dad laughs. Andrew releases him, and the two men shake hands.

"May we meet again," Ezekiel's mother says, her green eyes glimmering like emeralds, "At least for our children's sakes."

She turns to Ezekiel and I, standing face-to-face with our hands in our pockets. Our expressions are grim.

"Be nice," she says to Ezekiel, "It might be a while."

Ezekiel clears his throat, poking at the ground with the toe of his boot. "I promise I'll write," he says quietly, "I'll..."

I throw my arms around his neck and the water works start. Relentless tears falling from my eyes. Ezekiel stands stoic and still while I weep, the parents walking away to give us some privacy.

"Don't go," I whisper against his neck, again and again, "Please, don't go." I know there's no use in pleading. He's leaving, he's leaving, and there's nothing I can do.