The Company

The room is warm and dark, and the blankets are soft against my freshly washed skin. The fabric of my new nightgown is silky and pink.

I'm tired, really, but I can't fall asleep. I just lay in bed staring at the pale green light on the wall; the button I can use to summon Gloss if I need anything. There are numbers projected on the wall, dimly displaying the time.

3:00 am.

After hours of waiting, I finally hear a disturbance in the heavy silence of night. Groups of footsteps marching down the hallway outside my room, growing louder as they come near, then quieter as they pass again.

I hesitantly slink out of bed, sliding my sore feet into the soft boots I was gifted. I pad silently across the room, leaning close to the door and listening to the hushed voices coming from down the hall. I grip the door handle, tempted to peek out, but freeze, listening.

"I'm so sorry to call you in like this," says Atticus, his voice unmistakeable, "If I'd known about Two's capture, I wouldn't have interrupted you~"

He tries to continue rambling, but a soft voice with a graceful accent interrupts, "Our Hacker is already on the case. We'll have Two's co-ordinates in no time."

"Ah," responds Atticus, sounding sheepish, "And, uh, which of you is this Hacker?"

"One," says a different, masculine voice, "He's one of the five Operatives who aren't in Team Dev. Make sense?"

"Of course, thank you, Six. I apologise for my ignorance," Atticus coos, "In Jezabeth's absence, I was left with little instructions."

Six speaks again, "Well, now you know who we are. Team Dev; comprised of Two, Three, Six and Seven. At your service."

"Speaking of which," says Atticus, "Mr Seven, our guest is looking for someone named Ezekiel, apparently you can help. If you could pay her a visit at some point, it would be deeply appreciated."

He's met with silence. I strain to hear a voice, but all I hear are the distant beeps of machinery and the pattering of soft rain outside.

"Go on," Six says after a moment, as if answering someone I can't hear, "I'll check in with Nine, see what our faithful Leader has to say. I'll buzz you when I've got news on Two's whereabouts."

More silence, then footsteps walking back my way. Oh no! I step away from the door, my hands snapping from the door handle with an audible crack. I freeze. The footsteps have stopped. I can see the shadows under my door - assumably Six, having heard me. I keep impossibly still, barely breathing and hoping he goes away.

"Something wrong, Six?" the voice with the gentle accent asks. If Two's been captured, and Seven is too quiet to hear, this must be Three.

Six says two words. "She's awake."

No! I've been caught! Heat already rushing to my cheeks, my mind starts going at a million thoughts a second, trying to think up excuses or plans on what to do to get out of this situation.

I could jump in bed and pretend to be asleep?

I could walk out sleepily and pretend I just woke up?

I could pretend to be sleep walking?

I could say they were noisy and woke me up?

None of it will work. And by now, it's too late. The sound of thier footsteps roots me to the floor, and the quiet knock on my door stuns me.

"Hello?" Atticus calls, "Are you awake in there?"

My mouth is dry, but I answer, anyway.

"Yes," I say softly.