Hudson River Music Festival

The top of Mia's hand was growing steadily warmer, the sun seeming to beat straight down upon it with determined force. Her fingertips were tapping against the hot steel of her car door, a stark contrast to only a bit before, when it had spent the past four hours hanging lazily, rolling along with the fierce wind that ripped around the car as it sped down the interstate highway.

Mia's clothing for the present occasion helped keep her cool but she had been sitting in the same spot, among dark leather seats, for nearly twenty minutes. Her eyes craned over the hoods lined up in front of her as her foot alternated between a constant twitch and releasing the brake to let her car roll forward a few feet.

With the fairgrounds now in view, Mia couldn't help but smile at the sight of the Ferris wheel towering overall in its sight, standing tall among a village of stages, varying in all sizes. A quick glance at the clock set her grin down a peg and her leg accelerated it's rhythm to a high pace of bouncing up and down.

A neat business suit, appropriate for a day in the office, lay crumpled on her back seat, set right beside a hastily packed duffel bag. Mia had thrown them in, not bothering to pause for a second thought at the condition of her clothes by the end of the weekend.

She was running short on breath and time, having just sprinted from her seat at her office's main conference table and headed straight for her car, which had then headed straight for the highway, heading south.

Mia had spent most of her lunch break finishing up any remaining work she knew was her responsibility, making sure she would have nothing hanging over her head for the weekend. She had spent the last five minutes of her break changing out of her business-casual uniform and into something that no one would have deemed office appropriate.

She was grateful for her spot in the back of the conference room, among the rest of the interns, as it helped her blend in as much as possible and gave her a clear view of the ticking clock that hung over where her boss stood, who insisted on droning on with his presentation.

It was with the words, "That's it for this meeting if there are no further questions..." that had sent her out of her seat and out of the office without a second look back. She had only one thing in sight from that moment on.

It was that one thought that had been resting cozily in the forefront of her brain for the majority of her week leading up to this day and had done an excellent job distracting her from her work.

Her shorts and beat-up sneakers fit in much better with the general crowd that welcomed her once she had finally gotten to the back of the festival grounds and found free parking, squeezed in among the mass of giant buses and vans that occupied the rest of the space. There was an attendant waiting for her, who handed her a badge before pointing her in the direction of the rest of the festival.

There was a gentle breeze off the Hudson that helped cool the hot air, a signature feature of the longest day of the year. The sun was just barely starting to release its hold on the day and it seemed everyone around was bathed in a hot golden light.

The crowd around her was polarized between girls in flower crowns and men in dark eyeliner. Mia found herself fitting in right in the middle, her old band tee-shirt a true vintage for the headliners. Making her way through the crowd, even with her sunglasses still situated on her nose, near the main stage, Mia started to feel a familiar sensation as second-glances turned her way.

Mia cheered with the rest of the crowd as the band on the main stage finished up. The girl standing tall on the highest point, atop a pile of amplifiers, cried out "Good night!" before grabbing the hand of her awaiting bandmate and hurried off stage.