Chapter Twenty || Wake up alone

Start from the beginning

Charlotte's eyes wondered over to Oswald who had sat on the floor and taken a razor blade from his sock. He was sharpening it against the iron bars and stood that way for a while. Charlotte stared in his general direction but her mind was planning what she could do to get out of that hellhole.

"You're making your blade too thin," Charlotte heard Ed laugh. "It's gonna snap off when you try to stab me".

"Well, we'll soon find out, won't we, Edward?" Oswald said, not stopping what he was doing.

Ed glared at Oswald. "I told you not to call me that".

Oswald finally stopped sharpening his blade and turned back to look at Ed. "What? Edward? But that's your name, Edward. Edward. Edward, Edward, Edward, Edward, Edward, Edward, Edward-"

"Enough!" Ed shouted furiously. "You're both pathetic, you know that? At least I'm in here because I was trying to figure out who runs Gotham. You are here because what? I didn't love you back? Get over it".

Charlotte was trying really hard not to snap at him. Not that Ed didn't deserve it, but she knew there was no use in yelling at him, so she held on tightly to the bench until her knuckles turned white.

Oswald, however, stood up and faced Ed. "No. You did not love me back, but that's not why I'm here. I'm here because you destroyed the empire I built. I'm here because you shot me". Ed chuckled after the last sentence, but Oswald didn't back down. "And no one does what you did and lives".

"Well, good luck exacting revenge when I'm gone," Ed mocked with a laugh.

"Oh, please. Make one move to escape and I call the guards," Oswald warned as he walked up to grab his cup of coffee from the tray.

"I assumed as much," Ed said as he saw Oswald take a sip from the coffee. "Which is why I bribed the guards to poison your coffee".

Oswald immediately spat out the coffee and turned to Ed with a furious expression while Ed laughed amusedly. "You're lying!"

"Oswald, he's just trying to get to you," Charlotte warned her friend while glancing at Ed with an emotionless expression. "Ignore him".

The emotionless look on her face while looking at him left Ed with a pang in his heart. Once again he hated himself for feeling this way. He was stronger than that, so he did his best not to let it show. Instead, he rolled something on a piece of paper. "Yes, I am, but I did steal a dart from the guards a couple days ago. Was planning on using it on them, but..." His voice faded as he took the paper to his mouth and blew it in Oswald's direction.

The dart hit its target right in the neck and Oswald shouted out in pain. "Ow!"

"Ed!" Charlotte glared at him, but he only let out a loud laugh.

Charlotte sent a concerned look at Oswald, but he seemed fine when he pulled the dart from his neck and threw it against the bars. "You're gonna have to do a lot better than that-" But suddenly he felt like he couldn't breathe and he fell on his knees choking. Charlotte wanted to help him, but there was nothing she could do from her cage.

Ed took advantage of that moment and picked the iron padlock on the door. Oswald asked for help, but his voice was nothing but a whisper.

But Ed's undoing was thinking Charlotte would never call the guards herself. However, that's exactly what she did. She started shouting for them to come while banging her fists on the iron bars. "Guards! He's trying to escape! Guards".

"Hey! What are you doing? Stop that!" Ed growled at her in desperation, but she kept on calling the guards. Then Oswald, who even gasping for breath, grabbed his tray of food and hit it on the floor, creating a loud metallic sound. "Stop! Stop that. Stop it!"