Chapter Six || Two broken hearts

"Last night I dreamt,

That somebody loved me.

No hope, no harm

Just another false alarm".

- The Smiths

After spending the rest of the day walking across Robinson Park and observing all the different types of plants, Charlotte returned to the mansion

After spending the rest of the day walking across Robinson Park and observing all the different types of plants, Charlotte returned to the mansion. Olga opened the door and pointed to the dining room, telling the blonde that Ed and Oswald were already at the table. Once Charlotte walked closer to the room, she heard Oswald's voice and stopped to listen. A blues song was playing in the background so she stepped closer to hear clearly.

"Ed. A man comes to a crossroads in his life, and he has to make a choice. Does he choose safety and cowardice or does he opt for courage and risk everything? I choose courage. What I'm trying to say is..." Oswald stopped mid-sentence and cleared his throat. Once again he seemed nervous and it caused Charlotte to take another step in anticipation. "The thing I've been wanting to tell you all day long is... I love you".

Charlotte gasped after hearing Oswald's revelation. She had to admit she had wondered if Oswald was falling for Ed, but hearing it from Oswald's mouth made it sound real.

After a minute of taking the news in, Charlotte finally stepped into the room with an emotionless expression. Oswald was with his back to her and a table filled with food in front of him. However, he was alone. Charlotte had been so absorbed in her thoughts she didn't even notice there was no reply to Oswald's confession.

"Oswald," Charlotte called almost causing Oswald to fall off his chair.

"Charlotte?" He asked in surprise. Oswald immediately tried to compose himself to make it appear like nothing had happened. "Didn't hear you coming in".

The blonde's expression remained the same when she answered. "Yes, I've noticed".

Even though Oswald couldn't decipher her emotionless expression, he must have definitely noticed the cold tone in her voice.

"How long have you been standing there?" He asked, doing his best to sound oblivious.

"Long enough," Charlotte replied. She sat down on the right side of Oswald and filled a glass of wine for herself. Oswald also grabbed his glass of wine but it was empty, so he put it back on the table with a frown on his face. After a while of silence, Charlotte finally broke it. She was calmer now and decided it was better to say what she was thinking whether he cared or not. "I don't hate you, Oswald".

"What?" he asked after being suddenly pulled out of his own thoughts.

"I don't hate you for falling in love with Ed," she explained. "He's been a great friend to you. Where is he anyway?"