.ten.

M A R C O

I was practicing the violin on my day off while Ortiz was at the store. I had been practicing for two hours working on the same piece, Schubert's Ave Maria. I had been struggling the whole time, mostly with the vibrato, though I had gotten through the first at least 5 measures. I was starting to get the next few measure down when Ortiz got back.

"I was planning on making lasagna for dinner, does that sound good?" Ortiz asked as I continued to struggle with playing the correct notes.

"Yes," I said taking the instrument away from my shoulder, stretching out.

"You're sounding better," he said as he put some of the groceries away.

I didnt believe him but it was nice, "Thank you."

I walked over and helped him put up the groceries, leaving out what he would need for the lasagna. I felt bad that Ortiz was always the one to cook but he was so good at it and loved doing it so I never asked to take over. It wasnt like I knew how to cook anyway. But part of me wanted to learn.

"Um, Ortiz?" I asked, trying to get his attention as he had his head in a cabinet trying to find the right seasonings.

His head popped out of the cabinet and looked at me, "Yeah, you okay?"

I nodded, "I was just wondering if I could help you cook?" I didnt like how unsure I sounded but I was so afraid of rejection I couldn't show how eager I was to do it just incase he said no.

"Yeah sure," he smiled and gave me a few short and simple instructions.

Once I had done all of those I was given more instructions, "Do you know this recipe by memory?" I asked when I saw no paper recipe laying around.

"Yeah, family recipe, after making it so many times you just know it by heart," he explained.

My heart ached as I remembered the one meal my mother cooked regularly before things got bad. I shook my head, I didn't want to think of that, I was having a good time with Ortiz. I had to make up for my outburst a few days ago over my stuffed bunny and having a panic attack in the middle of cooking was not the way to do that.

"You okay?" Ortiz asked, glancing up from the pot of ingredients to me.

I nodded, going back to measuring the ingredients. About an hour later we were putting our masterpiece in the oven. I had cooked the noodles, asking Ortiz multiple times if I was doing it right. Then we worked together to put the layers in the dish. Everything smelled delicious already.

"Can you play the violin for me while we wait?" Ortiz asked.

I nodded and walked over to where I had set my violin down. I picked it up and held it as I was taught as Ortiz sat down on the couch. I warmed up a little and then played what I knew of Schubert's Ave Maria. When I stopped where it got bad in my playing and looked over at Ortiz who was smiling at me.

"It's beautiful, Marco. I didnt even know you could do that, what is it? Vibration thing?"

I laughed, a sound so foreign to me it scared me, "Vibrato," I helped him out.

"Yeah, that," he laughed, "You're doing amazing."

"Thank you," I smiled.

"Of course," Ortiz returned the smile.

Ortiz was so kind to me, he had helped me when I freaked over a stuffed animal. He understood that it meant more to me than to anyone else. He didnt judge me for it and he put up with my awful violin playing in the beginning, not that it's always much better now.

After Ortiz insisted, I continued to practice while he read until the lasagna was ready.

We sat down to eat and it was amazing. Halfway through our meal there was a knock on the door. I surprised I
Ortiz and myself by getting up to answer the door before he could.

When I answered the door two men I didnt recognize were standing there, "We need to speak with Ortiz."

I turned around and looked at Ortiz, I knew he had heard them because he was getting up.

"I'll be back," he said to me before walking out the door.

I went back to the table and finished what was on my plate. Since Ortiz still wasnt back yet I covered the lasagna and covered his leftovers in foil so they could maybe stay warm. Then I cleaned the kitchen to keep myself busy.

It was a little past nine when Ortiz got back.

"Thank you for putting everything up."

"Your leftovers are on the counter if you want them," I said.

He got them and sat back down at the table.

I wanted to ask why he left and why it took so long but it was none of my business.

"I'm going to be gone for a week. I leave in two days," he told me.

I turned around from where I sat on the couch so I could look at him, "Why?"

"Its nothing much, just an easy mission. Will you be okay for that long? I can probably get a reassignment if I need to."

I shook my head, "No I'll be fine." As I said it I was hoping it would be true. I had grown to be dependent on Ortiz which scared me now that he would be gone for a week.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

"I'll make some food before I leave so you dont starve," he joked and I smiled, "And I'll leave a few simple recipes so you can try to cook yourself if you'd like."

I nodded, "Thank you," I had always wanted to learn to cook and Ortiz had shown me a bit today.

"You're welcome," he said and went back to eating.

I decided to take a shower and then go to bed. I planned on waking up early the next day to go to the gym.