Chapter 13: So Far So Great

Start from the beginning

“How have you been Dave?” I asked him. “I know we don’t get to talk very much. Are you dealing with everything okay?”

He shrugged, “I’m okay. It’s a lot to deal with you know? First you’re in rehab then you’re in a sober living house then we get a new cousin. All while still going to school.”

“You can make the choice to get homeschooled you know?”

“I know, but school distracts me.”

I nodded.

“I’m mad at you anymore, D.”

“You’re not? I thought you would be, at least a little.”

“Mom and dad talk to me about it a lot. I know you’re just sick and that you needed the help. I was mad that you were never here.”

I nodded, “Trust me, I was mad at me too Dave.”

“You were?”

“I still am,” I admitted. “I’ve missed so much of your and Mar’s life. I never wanted to do that. Even when I was here I wasn’t really here. I missed so much and I hate myself for it. I’m going to make it up to you. I don’t know how, but I will.”

“Is that why you’ve been around so much?”

“The people at this house I’m staying at say that it’s their job to help us in our transition between rehab and the real world. They talk to us a lot about things we can do to stay in recovery. When I started hanging out with the two of you again I realized that’s what was going to keep me in recovery.”

“Us?” He asked.

I smiled, “Yeah, my family. I actually have a blast hanging out with you. I laugh more than I ever have before. I miss you. I’m myself when I’m with my family. I know I need to get back to that again.”

“I’m proud of you, D. I missed you too. We all did. For a long time we felt like we you weren’t here.”

“I wasn’t, but I am now.”

“Did you figure out what you want to do after you graduate?”

I shrugged, “Kind of, yeah. I’m obviously working with Aunt Maria on my fashion line which I love, but I also like music. I think I’ll probably only work on that as a hobby with Anna though. Our entire family is into music so I think the expectations would be too high. If I choose to do music it will just be for me and not for anybody else. What about you? You may have quite a few more years but have you thought about it?”

“I want to do movie likes Uncle David and Aunt Demi. Mom and dad said I could start doing movies if I found a movie role I really wanted.”

“That’s great. I’ll watch that movie for sure.”

“Mom and dad said if I wanted to wait I could do that too. I don’t know.”

“Just wait then. You’re only young once you should enjoy it.”

He nodded, “Thanks D.”

“I’m here for advice anytime. I won’t leave again.”

“Good, I love you.”

I smiled, “I love you too.”

“Hey guys!” Aunt Demi called from the beach.

“Yeah?” I called to her.

“Dinner time! Let’s go!”

I laughed and looked over at Dave, “I guess we’ll continued later.”

“Yeah,” he laughed with me, “Aunt Demi will come out here after us if we don’t get in there soon.”

            We got out of the water and walked inside to the dining room. We took the last two empty seats. I looked around and admired the sights. Everybody I care about is here. I don’t remember the last time we had a family dinner like this. I ate my food silently, but listened closely to the conversations. Uncle David made jokes the entire time, while mom kept telling him he was annoying. Aunt Demi laughed and tried to stop their arguing like she usually does. This is my family. Aunt Demi was right about this vacation; we all needed it, especially me. I needed a reminder about family. I needed a reminder that family will always be there for you and they will always know you better than you even know yourself. For so many years I tried to run away from my family when they should have been the people I was running to.

“They’re crazy aren’t they?” Alice asked me.

I nodded and smiled, “Yeah but they are our kind of crazy.”

“True,” she smiled.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

THE END CHAPTER 13!!

Vote and comment! :D