FIVE - Let It Sink In

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, Gideon opened the two large doors leading to his office, allowing them to enter. Monday wiped her tears and mumbled some things under her breath, giggling still.

They all entered and Gideon looked around. "Where's Knight?"

They looked around. "I haven't seen him, sir." Feyre replied.

Their chief sighed, "Let's get started without him."

They all took out their notes and pens.

The door blasted open and in stormed Apollo. "Sorry, I'm late." He entered and established himself next to Elliott.

Gideon ignored the late entry and reached for his tiny circular glasses, in order to read from a file. "I understand last night was successful."

Apollo and Monday accidentally made brief eye contact, but ran away from it as soon as they got caught by the other.

Apollo held his breath and dug his hand in his pocket, "Uh, yes sir. It went beautifully."

"I understand a connection was established with Shaw and Peaches?"

No one answered. "That is correct, sir." Elliott jumped in.

The air was thick and heavy, and even Gideon felt unusual, though he did not know why.

"If I may, sir," Monday announced herself, "Tonight begins part Beta of our operation and I would like to go over some details with you after this."

Gideon allowed it, "Certainly." He brought his attention back to the file on his hands, showing difficulty understanding the tiny print, "I'm seeing here that there was an extra bill and complaint from the hotel." Gideon squinted to try to read and then gave up, looking at Apollo for enlightenment. "What's this about?"

Apollo gulped and his feet tilted slightly from tip to heel. "Uh, that was the hotel room I used, sir."

"I know that, son, but what is this complaint about?" Gideon waved the paper, not appreciating the obvious remark.

Apollo cleared his throat and brought a fist in front of his lips, "That was, uh, a siukiakjsh..." he murmured the end and no one understood what he was saying.

"What?" Gideon asked, crunching up his face.

Apollo inhaled strongly and his eyes passed by Monday once again, wishing she'd stop looking at him. He then wet his lips and exhaled, putting his hands on his waist to fake confidence, "Sir, that was the hotel sink."

Feyre's jaw dropped and Elliott let out a satisfied smile. Apollo looked at Monday, who crossed her arms and then quickly uncrossed them. And then clumsily crossed them again.

Gideon lifted his shoulders; his face was tense and almost angry, "A sink?"

They all looked at him at the same time and tried to react to his innocent obliviousness. It was like a loud echo of "..." filled the room.

"How the fuck do you break a sink!" Gideon snapped.

They all knew the answer, but not a word was said.

Gideon raised his eyebrows, "Will you make me ask again?" he warned.

Monday sighed sharply and rolled her eyes, "It's called rough, hot, hard, sex, Gideon. The birds and the bees. Do you want me to draw it out for you?"

"Oh." Taken by surprise, Gideon cleared his throat, "I apologize, agent Knight, that should have been discussed in private." He shoved his hands in his pockets.

Apollo imitated the gesture and accepted the apology with a timid head nod.

Gideon made his way back to his chair, "That is all." He dismissed the team, "March, part Beta?" He summoned.

She walked over to his table, while the rest of the team naturally disarmed back into informality and began to chat with each other.

Monday looked over her shoulder at them, "You're dismissed." She reminded them, and they scrammed the room.

After the last person shut the door, Gideon looked up at Monday, "Your team respects you."

Monday's dark eyes looked into Gideon's, "As it should be."

She wasn't fully aware that her resting expression was intimidating, her gaze was aggressive. It sparked anxiety in everyone who looked at her marble, grim irises, but especially men.

"So your team has been working well together?"

She looked away, "Yes."

"Are you lying to me?"

She looked back at him, bothered, "We'll be fine, Gideon. Every team takes some getting used to."

"I chose this team because you were all already acquainted. I can't afford getting used to, this isn't after school drama--"

"I said we'll be fine."

Gideon relaxed his body, making his chair squeal as it stretched back. They looked at each other, severly.

"The way I see it, March, one of three things will happen to you." He said to her. His tone was almost fatherly, as if he were comforting her from a bad day at school. "One: You succeed. You save those girls. You put the bad guys in jail."

Monday sat down slowly and crossed her arms and legs, listening.

Gideon raised two fingers, "Two: You fail. And I fire you." He paused and smiled, "Which I promise I will." He whispered.

She looked out the window and fidgeted with her ring.

"Look at me." He ordered. She blinked, and then turned her head, contradicting her own wishes, "I want you to tell me number three."

She stared at him. "I know--"

"No, no." He raised his chin and smirked, "I want to hear you to say it."

She tilted her head, resentfully, and there was a small pause. "Three:" she started, "I die."

He nodded and sat straight on his chair, as if the answer had somehow been revigorating to him, "That's correct!"

Her face faced the floor, but her eyes looked up at him; the conversation had turned dark, but Gideon's perky attituded reminded Monday whose life was at stake.

"You see, Monday, if you wanted a job that gave you more time to get to know your pals before a project, you should've picked musical theatre." He stood up from his chair and buttoned his suit. She stood up too. "I'll be keeping a close eye on part Beta tonight. I expect you to do your job." She understood that. They reached for each other's hand to shake, but Gideon gripped it with certain uncomfortable strength and then stretched his neck to get close to her. "And that might mean I'll be paying for a broken sink tomorrow morning." Her blood boiled. "You're dismissed."

She bowed her head, turned around, and walked away.

Her heals strutted to the large exit doors at a collected pace, but inside, Monday March wondered. 

Death had been a close friend to her throughout the years. They had long talks on dark nights under the moon about family and dreams, and other times, simply walked together silently, being there for the other, like best friends do. There were no awkward silences among the two. They gave each other presents and braided each other's hair. There was no fear when they looked into the other one's eyes, only longing. When Monday was a little girl, she had heard stories of boys that had grown with wolves. She had heard of girls who walked around with angels on their shoulders. But for her, their friendship was enough. Death had protected her from her father, and Monday knew she could do it again with anyone else who hurt her.

Death was generous, righteous, but also furious at times and Monday knew not to expect consistency from her jealous friend, who she didn't know yet, but would be visiting again in a couple months time to collect what was hers.