Five Years Later

(A/N: I know this is a time skip. There might be a few of these. You've been warned.)

Juliet wandered around her mother's loft, her school things scattered around the place. While Supergirl was saving National City, Juliet had to figure out how she could trick her babysitter into giving her sugary sweets and to leave her alone so she could use her superpowers. Most of the time her babysitter was J'onn J'ones. She had grown up with him around, but he knew about Kara's no powers rule. He also knew Juliet thought it was unfair and stupid. He had to agree. She hasn't exactly followed that rule herself over her years on earth. Occasionally Destiny would come over and play and put on Juliet's Legion ring and they would fly around the loft. On very rare occasions, J'onn would bring her to the DEO and she would watch her mother and aunt in action. She liked going to Catco with her mother because then she could play with Ruby. She was eleven years older than her and that made her sixteen. She also had the house of El on her necklace, and Juliet found it amazing that she didn't know what it really meant. Then there was James and Nia, and they were fun, too.

Today she was finding it hard not to fly around and look on top of things. It was a lot of fun. She was also really happy. Maybe that's why she kept on floating around. J'onn seemed a little annoyed, but he didn't seem angry.

"Homework done?"

"It's Kindergarten, not first grade."

"Can't argue with that logic. Your room clean?"

"My half is. Mommy still has her half to do. Did you know she gets love notes?"

"You shouldn't be reading those, Juliet."

"I thought it was a letter from my daddy!"

"Alright, I see your point. Just don't read it if it says 'Dear Kara' at the beginning."

"Ok. Can I still read it if it says 'Dear Juliet'?" J'onn gave her a small laugh.

"Yes, if it's a letter to you, then you can read it." Juliet circled the table in response. She had only read the letter to see if she could add it to her scrapbook of letters from Dad. They would appear as though they were always there. Juliet sometimes wondered how she could miss them.

She was wondering this now as she floated a few inches above the couch. Her eyes wandered to J'onn as she noticed a few tears fall down his face. Not knowing what was wrong, Juliet walked over to him and hugged his legs. He patted her hair, a bright mess of blonde curls, and gave her a little hug back.

"It's ok J'onn. Why are you crying?"

"About five years back, six maybe, my father came back into my life after we both thought we lost each other for, well, a very long time." Juliet smiled happily. Whenever J'onn talked about Mars, it seemed sad. But this sounded happy! "Today is the day I lost him for good." Juliet felt tears crawl into her own eyes.

"So that's why you're sad?"

"You know what? My father used to love hot chocolate. Why don't I make us some and we can go take a walk if you think you can stop using your powers long enough."

"That sounds like a challenge to me." Juliet smiled, and so did J'onn, to his own surprise.

Suddenly they heard a knock on the door, and Juliet looked over the lead plated glasses her mother made her wear to see Destiny.

"Come on in Dez!" Juliet called out. Destiny came in with a backpack that bulged and J'onn could tell it wasn't just from homework. "What's wrong?"

"Is Aunt Kara here?"

"No. She's doing her stuff with Aunt Alex."

"Do you think it's ok if I sleep on the couch again?"

"You can ask her whenever she gets back. Problems at home?"

"You have no idea. Mom is always busy and I get that, but she could at least keep food in the house when Kelly's away."

"She's probably just extra busy lately."

"I don't believe that. When she's super busy she at least calls my cellphone. But she barely bothers to do that anymore. This is getting ridiculous."

"So how do you want to fix it?"

"I don't know. By doing something spontaneous probably." J'onn felt he should step in here.

"You mean your going to spy on your mother with Juliet's help because you know she won't say no to you."

"J'onn, unless you know what's going on, please stay out of it." Destiny was not in a sensible place at the moment. J'onn again found himself stepping into the role of the little girl's father figures.

"Alex is just lonely, Destiny."

"Why would mom be lonely? She has me and Aunt Kara and Juliet."

"This is a different lonely, Destiny. You're a very intelligent girl. I'm sure you'll understand how she feels if not soon, then maybe someday."

"You know I hate when you use your brain against me? And why are you making hot chocolate?" Juliet decided to step in this time.

"Because we're thirsty and hot chocolate tastes good."

"Can't really argue with that." J'onn smiled gratefully at Juliet. She was still so young, and yet seemed to have Kara and Mon-el's experience within her, just as Destiny had Alex's spirit inside her.

There was another knock at the door, but it wasn't familiar to either girl.

"Kara? Alex? It's me, Jeremiah. Your father? Can I come in?" The frantic knocking continued.

"Hide." J'onn said in a short, angry whisper, shifting into Kara.

"Let's fly." Juliet whispered to Destiny as she slid off her Legion ring. As soon as Destiny had it, they were out of sight and hidden from view.

"Come in dad." J'onn said with Kara's voice.

"You shouldn't keep this door unlocked, sweetheart." Jeremiah said as he came in and locked the door shut.

"It's not like I can't handle what comes through the door. Besides," J'onn became himself again, his martian self, "Kara isn't here right now."