Chapter 47

Tom

She was on a call, but I didn't care. I strode straight past her stuttering assistant and threw open the door with as much theatrical air as I could muster.

Cynthia merely quirked an eyebrow in amusement.

"My apologies, Arturo," Cynthia smirked. "I'll have to call you right back..."

Emma had played it cool when she began her story, nearly convincing me there had been some significant flaw in my flat's security system. She gave it up quickly though, unable to hide her growing grin, and told me everything.

She told me how she had called my sister from the train and asked her if she could make sure I was home by the time Emma planned to arrive. She told me her original plan was to take a taxi from the station to my flat and text me to look outside, but my sister had apparently been all too eager to help and—after confirming I was indeed at home—insisted on picking Emma up from the station and personally driving her to my flat.

As it turned out, the car and the muffled voice in the background had both been Cynthia's. And it was Cynthia who let Emma into the building, led her past the security and straight to my front door.

I shook my head in disbelief as my sister stood casually and smoothed invisible wrinkles from her tight skirt. "Little early for lunch, but if you're really starving—"

She had been looking down and was caught off guard when my arms were suddenly wrapped around her in a tight embrace. She laughed when I easily picked her up and twirled her around in circles.

When I finally put her down, Cynthia leaned back just far enough to meet my eyes while still holding onto the lapel of my jacket.

"I see you got my messenger," she giggled. "I'm happy it worked out."

I pulled her into me again and hugged her so tightly she squealed.

"I love you."

She hesitated for a moment before wrapping her arms around my waist. "I love you, too."

"Seriously, C," I said giving her one more squeeze before letting her go again. I tilted my chin down so I could catch her eye. "I don't know how to thank you."

Cynthia glanced down at her desk, clearly embarrassed. "Just... be happy."

"I am," I beamed.

"Good," she said as she smirked back up at me. "Because you're horribly tedious when you're sad." 

[A/N: Thank you for reading & please remember to vote / comment !]