Gold Medal Match

"Ok, since we are playing first place in the other pool and we are only second, they're expecting us to lose, but guess what? We're going to bring it and win!" Coach Rivers said giving us our pre game speech, "We need our defense to be strong but our goal keeper even stronger. Our strikers and wingers need to know when to score and take chances, we can and will win this, any words from the captain?"

"Play like you've never played before, we want to prove them wrong, we want to play for gold, let's do this!" Jen yelled.

We all put our hands in the middle and did our cheer. Then the first half began.

*************************

We walked into the locker room cheering and yelling, we had bet them by a score of 5-1. We were going to the gold medal match.

"Three cheers for us!" one of our defenders yelled.

"Hip Hip, Hooray!"

"Hip Hip, Hooray!"

"Hip Hip, Hooray!" the whole team yelled. Then we heard a whistle. We turned and seen our coach there.

"Okay, our game is in an hour if you want to come watch the other team play," he said after we quieted down, "and this MVP will go to Maddy."

We all clapped and then grabbed our stuff to go watch the game.

The Vikings ended up beating the Cougars. We would be playing them for the gold medal. We headed out to the field and started warming up. This was it, time to play.

************************

The final seconds were ticking down, and we were up 3-0. I kept looking over to the ref for the game to be over. It would be great to end this tournament with a gold medal and a shut out. Then a striker got past our defense, she bolted towards me, dribbling the ball between her feet, she faked left, but I knew it was coming. I jumped in the air and punched the ball out of the air. The ref blew his whistle. We had won gold. I ran out of my net and practically jump-tackled Jen. I couldn't believe we had won.

"Could the teams please line up for the recieving of their medals," the annoucer said.

Both teams lined up. They started with the silver medalists. Then , they came to us. The handed out the medals one by one, hanging them around our necks. Soon, they had reached me. I smiled at my coach and touched my medal, it was great. Then my coach started talking,

'So, our MVP for this game was the one person who never gave up, she never stopped doing what she does and it payed off with a gold medal, our MVP this game is Allyson Cooper."

I smiled, stepped forward and sccepted my plaque. Jen was the MVP of the tournament. She really deserved it. The noise on the bus was insane, we were all so excited. It was very loud compared to the silence I heard as I walked home, although my energy was all the same. I couldn't stop smiling. If anyone walked by the woud probablt think I was high on something. And they would be right, I was high off our win.

As soon as I walked inside my house my brothers hounded me with questions:

"Did you win?"

"How'd you play?"

"Do you have a medal?"

"Did you have fun?"

The questions were silenced as I pulled my medal and plaque out of my bag. Then I was smothered in hugs.

"Congrats Ally!" Drew said smiling.

"Yah! Great job," Adam commented.

"Thanks guys!" I said. I hugged them both again then went upstairs to change. When I came back down Adam was gone to his practice since it was 6:39 and he had to be there for 7:00 sharp. Drew was watching Duck Dynasty so I decided to just relax. I was hoping it would calm me down because at this rate, I would never fall asleep because of all this energy.