Part 37 - The Best Present

Start from the beginning

"..It would be Mr.Kim! Our biology teacher. He is such an inspiration and even let us leave a whole 20 minutes early for rugby! I mean, he's just amazing" he sat down, dazed in awe thinking about his man crush whilst you hit him harshly and tutted. 

"Fine, you go then" he directed you and focus was on you.

Y/n: "Who I'm thankful for..?" you thought hard about it. You knew who you were thankful for, who had pulled you out of a life competition and taught you so much. But could you say that here without being hated?

"Well"  clearly uncomfortable, your mum stepped in, standing up and reaching for your hand. 

Mum: "Y/n, i know about Seungchol" your jaw fell open and Josh let out a dramatic gasp, your dad mimicking your huge eyes, a scene from a drama lay out before you.

Y/n: "Theres nothing going on! I promise-" you started to panic but she very calmly put a hand on your shoulder, like your dad did to her. 

Mum: "Its ok Y/n, i understand" 

Those words that you needed to hear so much and make you feel so much better.

"I understand"

— — —

Mum: "I just wish i knew from the get-go" you sat outside on the snow covered steps. it was freezing, but it wasn't the weather that chilled your heart. 

Y/n: "I tried to tell you..but you didn't understand" 

Mum: "Its not that i don't understand..I just" she sighed, patting your knee as if it gave her the encouragement she needed. 

"I'm scared honestly"

Y/n: "But of what? I'm not going to run away or get pregnant" you both let out a light laugh before turning serious again. 

Mum: "I'm afraid of having to face Areum again" vulnerability took over as she collapsed, leant over like a child and you nurtured her reflectively. 

Y/n: "Mum it's about time, you can't hate her forever" 

Mum: "I know i can't, but i can't bring myself to it. I am so embarrassed Y/n" she exhaled heavily, a thick smokey air escaping her mouth as she turned to you. Eyes young and fresh with tears and youth, seeing her younger self made you feel worse and grab her hand. 

Y/n: "Mum, that family are one of the most frustrating, self-centred people I've ever met. But, they get us mum. You and Areum were friends for years, is that really worth wasting? You gave me years of unjust hatred towards him, i broke that and now I'm the happiest I've ever been"

Mum: "Oh you're so mature" she hugged you tightly and showered you in kissing, making you cringe and try to shrink. 

Y/n: "Mum..you're so embarrassing" you squealed and she laughed.

Mum: "I think i'll take your advice" 

Y/n: "Lets go over now!" 

Mum: "At the dinner presentation, not now" she smiled and you sat down. She looked at something then whispered to you, getting up and going to the front door.

"Don't stay out for long" she winked and waved at someone. You looked in front and felt the rollercoaster in your stomach start up. 

"Merry Christmas my love"

He came to you and kissed you suddenly. You blushed harshly and pecked his cheek. In a trance you spoke briefly before he informed you he had to go. 

"I have to go, remember to open my present" 

"Shoot, i forgot. i'll go now! But before i do" 

You handed him a wrapped gift too. He smiled and gratefully thanked you. Blown away before even opening it. You nodded and he devoured the wrapping. his eyes lit up as he opened it. A camera, one similar to his with the vintage settings and browny lens, but this one recorded videos, meaning he could keep tapes of cherished moments.

"Y/n I don't even know what to say"

He stuttered, blown away by your thoughtfulness but you held a hand on his heart, smiling back and ensuring him. 

"Don't say anything, theres a video on there already. The first tape" 

You proceeded to kiss him once more, disappearing inside and leaving him in the cold night, overcome with love.