Chapter Eighteen ~ The Savior of a Rose

Start from the beginning

I wasn't in the Gales Land anymore.

The room was too vast and brilliant to belong in a house or villa, and my curiosity was piqued to the full wondering where I was.

The room was bigger than my old home!

I slowly began moving off the bed, ignoring the pain, and my feet touched the cold marble floor. The pink satin nightgown clung to my body, showing off my scrawny gaunt figure. I looked toward the mirror and began to make my way towards it.

I knew there would be damage.

I felt it everywhere.

Looking at the wide mirror, outlined with golden detailed designs. I wanted to run my hands over it just to feel the sharp ridges and rims. But I forced myself to look at my appearance and I couldn't have been more unprepared.

I was horrified.

Hideous.

I was hideous.

My long amber hair that had once fallen to my back was cut unevenly to the ends of my neck. My face was discolored and marred with bruises. My lips were cut and there was plaster wrapped around my head. I moved the collar of the satin nightgown and could see scratches along my neck.

Shakingly, I lifted the sleeves of the nightgown and gasped at my blemished arms that were littered with purple bruises. I could see dry substances over the bruises, and wondered if it was medicine.

My shoulders sagged, and I sniffled, my eyes burning with tears at my reflection. What had I done to deserve this?

"Trying to seduce my husband, huh?! I'll show you!" she screamed into my face. She grabbed my hair and pulled, making my scalp ache with pain.

"No, m-ma'am! I - he just wanted me to read to him!" I cried out.

She threw me onto the ground and attacked me, her long nails scraping at my skin and her fist pounding at my face.

"I'll show you!" she growled, getting off from me.

I felt relief for a short minute before she was back on me, and I almost screamed when I saw something glint in her hand.

Sharp clippers.

Panic flooded my veins and I began to fight back for a minute before her palm slammed against my cheek. I saw stars for a minute, and then I was rolled onto my stomach. She gripped my hair and every time I heard a snip, I felt my whole entire world crumbling.

She was cutting my hair.

I shoved my head back, trying to get her off, but only managed to inflict on myself more pain when the scissors harshly grazed the back of my neck. She threw the scissors across the room when she was done, and proceeded to get off me.

"Now, you're absolutely unsightly."

She then began to kick at any part of me her leg could find. I held in my sobs hoping this would all end.

I heard the sound of a door opening, which snapped me out of the cruel memory that had held me captive. I turned away from my reflection and looked at the door as it creaked open.

My eyesight was blurred because of my tears but I still managed to recognize the brown curls and cerulean blue eyes that I had fallen in love with. Nikolai walked in carrying a tray of food and he looked up, freezing in his spot as he made eye contact with me.

He was dressed in the finest clothes, woven from leather and cotton. He wore black leather boots that looked to be new, and his hair was brushed back. His blue eyes were bright and his lips so pink.