Chapter 22: I'm Back, But So is Someone Else

Alana's POV

My first reaction was Holy crap it's bright in here!

And then it settled in- it was bright.

I could see.

I smiled and laughed with relief as everything around me came into focus. After only a few days of being blind, I had grown used to only seeing darkness, the uncertain feelings that I didn't know where exactly I was. It was a little disorienting to be able to see so much now. The colors and light felt a little overwhelming, and I was beginning to form a small headache. But I didn't care, really. I was too happy to care. Because I could see again, and it felt brilliant.

I swung my legs around and stood up, a little wobbly from spending days on the couch, and still a little disoriented. The slugs around me were beginning to wake up and watch me. Those who were awake chirped happily, giving me excited smiles and waves. Ash jumped on my right shoulder next to Doc, squeaking to the Healer slug. I beamed as I looked at the slugs on my shoulders. It was great to be able to see.

However, being able to see opened some things up for me.

First off, I sort of looked like crap. I realized I hadn't been able to properly clean in days. I had scratches and bruises all up my arms, and a could feel a few more on my legs. My clothes were slightly torn and battered up. I looked like I had gotten hit by a bus or something. And although I could see, I didn't exactly feel too spectacular or anything.

But still, I felt much better.

I just couldn't stop myself from smiling. Everything seemed great to look at, more interesting than before. All the colors were soothing in a way. Still smiling, I walked across the living room and went upstairs. It was a little strange, being able to walk without hesitation or fear that I would ram into a wall, which was a feeling that I was especially glad to have finally gotten rid of. Yes, a little strange. But mainly just great. I ascended the stairs smoothly, feeling amused with my joy of accomplishing little things like not hitting walls.

After reaching the second floor of the hideout, I knocked on Eli's bedroom door, and heard him mumble for me to come on in. Not fazed at all that I had probably just woken him up, I walked in the room and dashed over to him. His room was complete with small areas for slugs, a desk, bed, dresser, and the ever so familiar portrait of him and Will up on one of the walls. It was sort of neat, but there was clothes scattered about the floor. I wasn't exactly expecting a neat freak room, he was a boy, after all. Eli was in bed, under a few blankets. Burpy was next to his head on the pillow, and the Infurnus seemed to be just waking up, yawning an blinking the sleep out of his eyes. Some other slugs were on the bed and the bed table. A few were using Eli's socks as sleeping bags. They were beginning to wake up, stretching and yawning and waving to me. Eli, however, still looked pretty much asleep. His eyes were half open and his hair was a bit of a wreck. I stifled a laugh at his state.

Like a kid, I shook Eli's shoulder gently, but excitedly. "C'mon, E, wake up," I said, smiling.

"I am awake," he mumbled. I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, prove it. Who am I?" I tested him, trying not to laugh. Eli frowned a little bit and blinked a few times, looking up at me. Then, finally, something clicked, and he sat upright with wide, blue eyes that were now very much awake.

"Alana!" he exclaimed. "Y-you, I mean, can you see?" he asked excitedly. I nodded, finally letting out a small laugh.

"Yeah, I can see. Everything from Burpy and your slugs sleeping in socks, to your crazy bed head," I said, noting his raven hair that was sticking up all over the place. He rolled his eyes, patting some of his hair down. A bit of a lost cause, but oh well. Then he grinned.