Tutoring (Part 1) // Jay x Nya (AU)

I haven't updated this book 'properly' in a while as I've been more focused on my multi-chapter stories, so I thought I'd give you yet another little Jaya AU 😂. Will probably have two or maybe three parts (if you want me to continue).

I've kinda gotten used to writing 1st person POV now so... and Nya's a bit of a spoiled brat in here but the background will be explained more in the next part.

-----

Tutoring (Part 1)

"Nya, sweetheart." My dad calls from downstairs. "Could you please come down for a moment?"

Right now, I'm lying on my bed, chatting with my friends – or generally doing anything but homework or studying.

"Be there in a minute." I reply as I send another message to my boyfriend. "Just let me finish that one maths problem."

Three messages later, I finally decide not to let my father wait any longer, so I get up and leave my room. Dad is already waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs, tapping his feet and his arms crossed, he looks rather annoyed with me. No, patience really is not a virtue of this family.

"Sorry, this problem was a bit tricky and it took me a bit longer." I lie, skipping down the last few steps. "Everything alright?"

The look on his face already tells me that this is not the case, but I'm wondering what exactly is going on.

"I saw your teacher earlier today." He says. Oh crap.

"Oh great." I force a little smile.

"I wouldn't exactly say that." Dad states. "She said that you've been slacking off for the last couple of weeks, and you have failed your last chemistry test."

He looks me in the eyes. "Nya, you're such a smart girl but ever since you've met that boyfriend of yours..." He sighs. My parents have always taught us – my brother and I – that you have to work hard if you want to achieve something in life. Mum and dad both come from rather poor families, and they've worked their way up – our mother is a highly-respected surgeon, and dad is a very successful lawyer.

Kai, my older brother, has decided to follow in his footsteps and is a second-year student at Ninjago University, one of the top law schools in the country.

I am to graduate from High School next summer, and I just can't wait for it. Although I don't really know yet what to do afterwards, I just want school to be over.

It's not that I find it very difficult, that surely is not a problem. I've never had to put a lot of effort into studying and still had perfect grades, but right now, I'm just not interested in school at all. At seventeen, there's a lot better things to do.

"I know that school isn't necessarily any young person's first priority." Yep, dad is definitely right about that. "But I don't want you to throw away your chances of a good education."

I don't like the sound of this, and I like even less what he says next.

"Sweetheart, I always thought you were too old and mature for this kind of punishment, but..." He takes a deep breath. "You're grounded for the rest of this week. No phone in your room. Your mother or myself will check your homework. And I've already organised a tutor to help you study."

No. No. And no.

"But dad, I..."

"I am very sorry I have to do this, Nya." Dad gives me a disappointed look. "But believe me, you will be grateful for it later in life."

"I won't." I angrily stomp my feet. "And I don't need a freakin' tutor."

"Nya, there's no discussion about this now." Dad states firmly. "First, you'll have to do better in your next exam, and then we can talk about it again."

"Alright." I sigh in defeat. When my dad gets this serious, there's absolutely no point arguing with him. He'll win, no matter what. No wonder he's such a successful lawyer, I honestly don't want to ever meet him in court. "So I guess I'll go back to my books then..."

Dad checks his watch. "Jason, your tutor will be here in about twenty minutes, so I suggest you tidy up your room. And maybe you should take your bag upstairs."

He points at my schoolbag, containing my text books and my homework, that I have left by the door when I got home. But I'm not letting myself get embarrassed by this little mistake.

"You let me spend time alone with a boy in my room?" I smirk instead. "Now that's something new."

"Nya, this is not funny." Dad reprimands me. "I've asked Oliver to recommend one of his students, and Jason is top of his class. I'm not expecting you to become best friends, but promise me, you'll try to get along with him."

Dr Oliver Julien is an old friend of my dad's and a professor at Ninjago Institute of Technology (NIT), just outside of Ignacia where we live. He's probably sent us the biggest geek in the whole college, so dad really won't have anything to worry about.

After a few more words, I take my bag and make my way back up to my room.

"Nya." Dad calls after me. "Your phone, please."

Dangit, I thought he had forgotten about it. I reluctantly hand him my brand new blue BorgPhone X. "You'll get it back when I see some effort from your side." Dad promises but that isn't really of much help for now. 

Nineteen minutes later, at exactly one minute to four, the doorbell rings. I very slowly walk down the stairs, with every intention to make him wait. But mum, who of course has sided with dad in this matter, has just come home from her shift at the hospital and eagerly opens the door for my tutor.

"Jay?" I hear her gasp. "What are you doing here? Oh my, you have grown..."

Who is she talking to?

"G-good afternoon, M-Mrs Smith." A strangely familiar male voice replies. "D-Dr Julien has given me this address, to..."

"Oh, you must be Nya's tutor then." My mum concludes. "Please come in. She will be so excited to see you."

Yes, very excited... note the sarcasm.

"N-Nya?" The boy stammers. "B-but how c-could she be in need of t-tutoring?"

Smart boy, I'm asking myself the same.

"Oh, you'll better talk to her yourself." Mum replies. "Ah, there she is."

Two heads turn towards me – and I almost fall down the last couple of stairs when I finally get to take a look at the student.

Of course, he has changed. He has grown taller and – as far as I can tell with the baggy T-shirt he is wearing – has a nice athletic built. He now keeps his long auburn hair in a ponytail and wears a pair of thin-rimmed navy glasses. But the notch in his eyebrow (which I caused) and the smile on his freckled face are still pretty much the same. And of course his eyes...

Those deep blue eyes that I would recognise everywhere. And that widen in surprise as he sees me.

"Nya?" He gasps.

Jay Walker. My childhood best friend.

Ninjago - One-shots and short StoriesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara