Troubled Times

-Merun-

I looked up at the stars, closing my eyes. The gentle sea breeze felt good on my face. And when I opened my eyes, I looked up at the stars. But then, I realized something startling. The sky was facing the wrong direction. Or rather, the ship was travelling the wrong way. Alarm shooting through me, I ran to the helm.

"Helmsman! Why are we going back towards Estraleon?" I questioned.

The helmsman, a soldier with a red beard and stern grey eyes, responded, "Our orders are to take you home, sir."

"No!" I snapped, "I ordered you to take me to Illeium! My brother is there."

"The king has said--" the soldier argued.

Cutting him off, I growled, "I don't care what my father said. I'm ordering you to go to Illeium."

We stared at one another for a long moment before the soldier finally decided, "I can't go against the king's orders, sir."

Exasperated, I threw up my hands and stalked away.

-James-

Two days after Merun's departure, my people began to gather their belongings. I had already sent two scouts ahead to warn the northern tribe, so they would be waiting for us when we arrived.

I hated this.

My people were injured, their spirits damaged. I hated that we had lost so many, hated that this was even necessary. Regardless, we had to leave. Packing up the things that were important to us, we began our trek at dawn. The remaining warriors formed a ring around our small tribe, the sick, injured, and elderly packed onto the back of the horses. The ones that were able-bodied enough to walk did so, helping their brothers and sisters with grim expressions. Arek walked at the front, on the lookout for danger ahead. I brought up the rear, making sure no one fell behind. It would be several days before we successfully made it to the northern tribe, but it was all we could do to keep going. When we stopped at night, the people sang songs to keep their spirits up. There was a fire, and what meat the hunters could catch during the day was shared among the people. There was little, though. There weren't enough men to hunt for the whole group. I chose not to eat, allowing my portion to be shared with the rest of the tribe.

"You'll have to eat something," Arek said softly to me. "You've barely eaten at all since Merun left."

I sighed, shaking my head, "There is a lot on my mind."

"You need to remain strong. We will survive," he forced a smile and clapped me on the shoulder. As we sat there in silence, listening to the songs the people sang, I was grateful for his company.

***

The Arione tribe in the north welcomed us with open arms. The people there were not unlike our own people, and my tribe integrated without too many issues. Of course, I would no longer be Chief. This fact wasn't too horrible to me, as I was not a particularly proud or ambitious man, but I did have every intention of protecting and caring for my people regardless of our new ruler.

Chief Ikilleo was kind. He gave me a position on his counsel and the warriors and hunters of his tribe helped to integrate my people into the Arione community. For the most part, it went smoothly. But more homes would need to be built within the village, more food caught, and more weapons made. There was a lot of work to do. Regardless of my fatigue, I pressed on.

It took several weeks before everyone was settled. I had adjusted to my new position in this tribe, and though most still looked to me as their leader, they were beginning to accept their new way of life.

-Merun-

My father was not happy with me. This didn't come as a surprise, as I had left without warning. Even so, I believed that I had grown a backbone in the weeks I was away, and I quickly discovered that I was not afraid of him.

When I entered the throne room, he was there. Draped in his fine robes, his crown atop his head, he was glaring at me angrily.

"Hello, Father," I greeted him coolly.

He didn't say anything at first, just watched me. I didn't speak either, simply waiting for him to begin. I had my suspicions about how this would go. And King Ranaan certainly did live up to those. "Where exactly did you think you were going?"

"To Illeium. I was following a lead to Airum," I responded, my voice level. I would not lose my temper. At least, not before he did.

"So you decided to leave without saying a word?" He sat up, his eyebrows raised. I held my ground, my head high as he continued to berate me, "You insolent fool! Did you really think you could just set off on this journey like there wouldn't be any consequences?"

"I'm no more a fool than you are, Father."

My statement was met with blistering silence, his face slowly turning more and more red. He stood up, stalking towards me. I stood my ground, not daring to back down even as he got in my face and growled, "You're still my son. You're going to do as I say or so-help-me I will string you up and hang you from a tree, do you understand?"

"I'm really starting to change my mind about bringing Airum back," I realized, "But not because you are threatening me. No, I don't want him to have to put up with a manipulative bastard like you."

He slapped me across the face so hard that it pushed me back with the force of it. Pain splintered out across my jaw and I cupped the side of my face, stifling the cry that threatened to escape from my lips. "Don't you dare disrespect me!" He yelled. He landed another blow, this time a closed fist to the other side of my face. I heard my jaw crack that time, and couldn't hold back my cry of pain. His fingers gripped my throat, tightening around my windpipe as our eyes met. "Don't ever disrespect me!"

I couldn't breathe, couldn't form the words to respond. But I didn't have to. He released me, and I crumpled to the ground. I tried to draw a few shaking breaths, but coughs began to rack my body.

"Get out of my sight," the king spat. "Don't let me see you unless I send for you. And don't leave the palace."

I got to my feet and retreated, unable to form any words in retaliation. He certainly wouldn't see me, but I couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't leave the palace. Of that much, I was certain.