Rough Seas

-James-

"There's a storm brewing," Arek muttered, staring at the sky.

I chuckled, looking down at him from my place on the roof of the hut. I was attempting to pull an animal skin over the roof to keep the rain out. "You think so? I'm surprised. The sky has only been dark all day."

"You think you're smart, don't you?" Arek rolled his brown eyes and shook his head.

"Would you prefer to put the pelts up?" I countered, arching an eyebrow and securing it into place before nimbly jumping down. "By all means. We only have five more to do."

Arek chuckled in a good-natured manner. "We have people who can do these things for us. One of the perks of you being Chief."

"Why should I make others do what I am unwilling to do myself?" I nudged him with my shoulder and bent to pick up another pelt. "Come on, help me with this."

The pelts were dried animal skins, tanned and coated in tar to keep the rain from leaking into the huts. By the time we finished, we were sweaty and covered in tar, but still laughing. Arek was not only my oldest friend, but also my second in command within the tribe. If anything were to happen to me, he would make a wise and strong Chief.

The village was set up in a strategic manner. At the center of the village was the common area. It included a large fire pit where we cooked and ate. There was also a large flat space where there was often music and dancing. In a ring around the common area were the houses of the oldest of the tribe. Then, the houses of the rest of the people. In a ring around the outer edge lived the warriors. My own home was on a small hill overlooking the village. If anything were to happen, I would see it and be close enough to assist.

Arek and I entered the village commons, the smell of cooking meat and sounds of music filling our senses. Many people greeted us as we passed, smiling or embracing us. I washed up, then checked up on some of the people before getting something to eat and sitting down with Arek.

We talked idly, though I could tell his attention was elsewhere. Music floated past, and I followed my friend's gaze to the graceful form of a woman dancing near the fire. Her name was Cira and she was beautiful. Body lean and moving to the beat of the music, her hair was long, tied back with feathers and painted beads. She wore dyed animal skins, necklaces hanging from her neck and bracelets flashing on her arms. I watched her, too, though I wasn't sure if Arek noticed me noticing him.

Cira and I had been betrothed since we were both too young to have a say. She was kind and vibrant, though she and I were not in love. In fact, I was happy to call her a friend.

Arek, on the other hand, had been attracted to her for quite some time. He never admitted it, but I knew. I wasn't blind. Nor was a concerned. If they fell in love and wished to wed, I would be happy for them. And I was sure that a part of me would be relieved. I had no desire to marry, nor even to settle down anytime soon. I enjoyed my role in the tribe and didn't want anyone at home worried when I got into trouble or was gone for too long dealing with tribal affairs. I preferred to be on my own.

Arek, on the other hand, had been searching for a suitable mate. He hasn't made any move towards Cira, but I knew he wanted to. He wouldn't do so, however, out of respect for me.

"Go talk to her," I laughed, "You look like a dog in heat."

He stared at me, "What?"

"Cira. You've been staring at her all night," I took a bite of the smoked hog, giving him a pointed look.

"But, she's your betrothed," Arek sputtered.

I rolled my eyes, "Yes, so everyone says. But I never asked her to take me as a mate, and she never said yes. So is it really a betrothal?"

"I'm not--"

"Just go talk to her before I die of old age," I shook my head.

Arek looked between me and her, as though making up his mind. However, he must have decided that I was right because he got to his feet and began to make his way over to her.

I couldn't help but laugh. I was glad for his honor and integrity, but this was an instance where it was better to simply follow his heart.

A large raindrop fell on my nose, and I looked up as it began to rain. The fat droplets slid down my skin, making me smile. I stood to help put things away, relishing in the rainfall and cool night air.

-Merun-

The waves tossed the boat from side to side, making it much more difficult for me to keep my balance. I staggered across the deck, lightning flashing overhead to illuminate the rain and angry clouds. Crew mates ran around on deck, attempting to manage the sails and keep everything secure.

The waves were becoming much worse, growing in size and knocking the boat around. Fear pulsed through me when lightning illuminated the giant wave crashing towards us. I gripped the side of the boat as it began to climb the wave. The ship was tipping, I felt it.

But then we were okay. At least, until a bigger wave came. I heard someone on deck shout, "Get inside, Your Highness!"

I could barely walk, the boat throwing me back and forth. Even so, the crew mate grabbed me by the shirt and shoved me towards the interior of the ship. "Get inside! You'll be--" he broke off, his eyes widening as he stared beyond me.

I turned, feeling the wave before I saw it. The ocean claimed the boat, dragging it below. Suddenly I was beneath the waves, watching the boat sink. The mast had completely snapped in two, the crew attempting to swim to the surface. When my face broke through the water, I coughed, gasping for air. The ocean slapped me in the face a moment later and I was dragged below once more.

I thought I would die that night, fighting the waves. It was only by some miracle that I didn't.

Warrior's HeartOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara