e i g h t

Jae sat at the lab bench, head leaning on his hand as he looked down at his phone, watching it attentively

     Jae sat at the lab bench, head leaning on his hand as he looked down at his phone, watching it attentively. There was nothing in particular he was looking at, just the lock screen. He was, however, waiting for a text. It had been three days since he asked Catalina if she wanted to join him with his parents and she hadn't gotten back to him. He was somewhat hoping she would say yes, but of course he wasn't going to admit it, neither was he going to encourage her to go.

     "Hey." Hands fell on his shoulders and he was startled by the action. He stiffened and let out a sigh as he watched the perpetrator sit down beside him. "Whatcha looking at?" Daniel set his bag down on the floor before pulling out his biology textbook.

     "Nothing, really." Jae shrugged.

     Daniel gasped, "Is...is Jae warming up to me? You didn't call me nosy this time. Wow, I'm impressed."

     The Korean sent Daniel a glare before looking down at his phone as it vibrated. "Oh my god!" He gasped, but then he frowned seeing the text was just a company promotion of some sort. "Screw this."

     "Cat told us that you invited her out on a secret trip," Daniel cooed, "You waiting for a reply, lover boy?"

     "Leave me alone Daniel. This doesn't concern you."

     "Ah," he sighed, "and he's back to his normal self. Gotta admit I liked it while it lasted. Anyway, I think Quebec City is a great idea. It's romantic, European looking and beautiful, especially in winter."

     "Have you gone?" Jae looked over at him, rather intrigued.

     Daniel nodded. "You know it. I've gone a couple of times with my family. It's really picture-esque."

     Jae nodded, looking back at his phone. "You're her best friend right?"

     "Maddie, Drea and I? Yeah, you know that already, though."

     "Do you..." He tried to swallow his pride. "Do you think she'll want to go?"

     A smug grin grew on the brunet's mouth, a toothy smug grin. "Are you...nervous, Jae-Jae?"

     "I told you to stop calling me that!" Jae growled as he looked away, crossing his arms over his chest.

     "Right, only Cat can call you that, forgot 'bout that. Well, she said she asked her father and he agreed if her mom said yes. She's just waiting for the right time to ask her mom...which means she wants to go."

     Jae looked back at him. "Really?"

     "If I only know one thing about Cat after knowing her for seven years, it's that when she asks her father for permission before asking for her mother's it means that she really wants to go," Daniel assured him.

     "So we just have to wait and see what her mother says, right?"

     "Yup! Which can take a few days. Wait, is that what you're worried about? Is that what you were looking at your phone for?"