16 - Who Has Cash

Start from the beginning

Upset that his plan hadn't worked, Cash wiped his tears away. The waterworks had left clean lines down his face where they'd washed away the dirt. He frowned and glared at the dryad. "It's my property. A cannae steal somethin' that's mine in the first place. Fair and square."

"Definitely Petrie's child." Jai-Jai rolled her eyes. She turned to Sen. "What do you think we should do with him? Can't take him with us. I did like the idea of turning him into a frog."

Cash shook his head, eyes bulging. Sen asked the boy where he lived.

"Me mamaí lives south of here, near Balfield. A day or two's ride at most."

Sen motioned for the boy to come closer. "Where is your camp? I'm sure you'd like a blanket to sleep with tonight. It's getting dark, so let's hurry."

Cash nodded his head before he pointed in the right direction. He started to lead the vampire deeper into the woods. Before the two were out of sight, Alanis called after Sen, "It's getting dark, don't ye want someone tae go with ye tae watch yer back."

"I'm pretty sure I can handle a nine-year-old." Sen cocked an eyebrow in her direction before disappearing into the shrubbery.

"Who bets that Cash will injure Fangs before or after they reach the camp?" Rhistel joked while throwing another log on the fire. It hissed and spluttered embers, almost hitting those sat too close. "Knowing that kid, he's booby-trapped the entire woods."

Alanis nodded to her sister. "Two silver pieces on Sen."

"Okay, a put three on the wee imp beating Fang's arse." Rhistel pointed towards the other group members. "Ye all in?"

Mumbling a quiet 'sure,' Twig putting money down on Sen while Kraneia turned down the offer. Jai-Jai voted on the child pulling a fast one on the vampire. Alanis knew from Jai-Jai's expression it would be a personal victory if Cash tried to attack him. Since the human had fallen off a horse several weeks ago, Sen hadn't shut up about how bad a rider she was.

"A little payback is in order, and if the universe had any care, Cash would be the one to do it,." Jai-Jai grinned.

                                                                             ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Barely an hour passed before Cash sauntered into sight. The smug smile on his face said it all. Sen wasn't far behind him, his sleeve ripped, and his hair stood on its ends. He looked more tired than Jai-Jai had ever seen him.

"What happened?" Twig giggled when she saw how much mud-covered Sen's trousers.

Sen shook his head, dropping the blankets and supplies he'd carried back. Salted mutton, carrots, and potatoes snuggly wrapped inside the bundle.

Shouts of joy rose from the group as Kraneia and the twins each took a handful of the food. Sitting down around the fire, they handed portions out to everyone.

"So Fangs," Rhistel said between mouthfuls, "what happened?"

"Don't call me Fangs. And I don't want to talk about it."

Cash smiled wide, his half-eaten mouthful on full display. "A do! Me dadaí said none can ever be too careful wid safety." Food fell out of his mouth. He picked up the pieces and chewed them again. "A set up a few traps before a left the camp. It joost so happened tha' this vampire's an idiot who made some wee missteps. Had some arrows shot at him, a couple of pitfalls, maybe. But he avoided most of them."