Chapter 13: Trapped in My Own Home

I was awakened by a familiar voice and bright light. It was Jack; he had turned on my light, and the bright bulbs stung my sleepy eyes.

I realized I looked like a complete mess, and probably smelled like one too. But, Jack (oh that wonderful boy!) pretended not to notice and proceeded to sit on the large wooden chest next to my bed.

"How long have you been here?" my crackly morning voice asked him as I rubbed my eyes and sat up.

"All night. Your parents locked us in, took our phones, and told our parents they had everything under control."

I exhaled sharply. How could they? I felt like we were in prison!

"How long will they be gone?" I questioned, brushing my knotted chocolate-brown hair in record time and then skillfully braiding it.

"I have no idea. But I think they're still here. They should set out on the ship any minute. Here," he handed me a small crumpled note. "Your parents left one for each of us. It's--well, it's a goodbye note."

I bit my lip as I grabbed the small pink letter.

I read it quickly in my head. It was just mushy gushy stuff about how they love me and want to keep me safe and stuff.

"So how are we 'locked in'?" I asked, setting the note aside and getting out of bed, the same clothing I had worn for, like, three weeks, still on.

"They installed a bunch of locks on the outside and your dad actually took out and threw out the door handles." Jack laughed.

"I'm sure we'll find a way to get out and help," I said as I folded my sheets. It's something I wouldn't regularly do, but I did it because Jack was watching and I didn't want him to think I was a sloppy, messy kid who didn't even clean up her room.

"Yeah. But are you sure we want to? I mean, even if we don't like it, parents are often correct."

I turned to him, shocked.

"Bill is my brother! William is my nephew! The Plutonians are practically my family! I love them! I love Pluto! And I absolutely hate Chad! So, understand why I am so set on helping."

Seconds after my explanation; well, more like an eruption; Leonard came bounding up the stairs and popped his head around the corner. He had a can of soda in one hand and half of a doughnut in the other.

"Paisley! Guess what! Your parents left and now we can do whatever we want!" He laughed hysterically as he downed the rest of his drink and swallowed the doughnut whole.

Jack and I chuckled before becoming serious again. Jack turned to me. "Even if we do get out, how are we suppose to fly there?"

I ran over to my window. It was roughly barred up with moldy boards.

Jack laughed at my bewilderment.

"They really DON'T want us getting out!"

I ignored him while I desperately tried to look through the little crack in the wood.

"If they left, then why is the ship still here?"

Jack came running up behind and shoved me out of the way to get a look.

"Hmm... Oh! Yeah! Right! Drowse came and got them because it was easier."

"How convenient for us. All we have to do is find the key, get out, fly off, and save everyone!"

"Ha! Simple!" Jack mocked sarcastically.

"Paise, your parents spent who knows how much on dozens of useless locks to keep us in here. They spent hours nailing windows shut and hours shopping for useless emergency supplies. I think they would have hidden the key very well."

"Ha! I know every inch of this house. Finding it will be easy!"

Unfortunately, it wasn't as easy as I thought.

This section was written by Amity