The Vow 10

Chapter 10

My clothes were soaked through, the tattered fabric sticking to my body. Thirst was a physical ache in my throat; my eyes were wide as I took in my surroundings. Going to Niko I checked his forehead, his temperature had increased, after getting him a cold cloth and more water I settled myself beside him. I scrutinized him, something was off, Niko looked different from last night.

A gasp escaped me a red line marked his throat his hair was lightening I knew, just knew that if he were to open his eyes they'd be lighter almost green. Niko was growing weaker, but did that mean Cain was going stronger? I felt distant, as if it wasn't really me in this bizarre scene my head couldn't focus thought darted in and out of my mental grasp. My eyes unfocused taking on a glazed look, I took deep breaths trying to calm myself, but somehow it succeeded in making me only more winded. Black spots began in my vision my heart beat accelerated black waves lapped at my consciousness, eventually I was pulled under.

I was surrounded by darkness, this was quickly becoming the norm it seems. Yet again Cain was there he wasted no time on pleasantries "Dianna, Dianna, Dianna, you MUST find out why you killed me it's of the UTMOST importance, you aren't the only one who'll be effected if you don't." He was looking a bit better than before, could it be that they really are connected? Niko's strength causes Cain's weakness? There was no way of finding out. Just as with last time I fell into that dark hall of bones saw the dark eyed king on his throne of the forgotten, his eyes flashed in the dim hall, his lips moved in a silent whisper I could feel the words gliding across my mind unable to comprehend them.

Again, and again, over, and over, I slept, awoke, and slept again. Each time I saw Cain, each time I saw that throne of bone, each time he spoke to me, and each time the words remained unknown. Little by little a shadow coalesced into form behind him, the shape of a woman; eventually she finally stood behind the throne a solid figure. She was clothed in white a keyhole slit at her waist a glimmering chain of gold shining there however what drew my attention was not white the color of innocence in this mass of sin but the large white wings adorning her back, almost like those of an angel.

Her hand moved to rest on his shoulder just as his hand moved to clasp hers where it rested; it was almost as if you could feel her smile in the unlit hall. His answering smile filled me with a sense of elation; I almost wanted to smile back-almost. The women still covered in shadows leaned over whispering in the man's ear, half-turning his head he replied in a whisper "I know my white dove but I can't do anything about this." She pulled back a fraction of an inch to look into his eyes "but you're the Dev-"He shook his head at her and she quieted.

Before I knew it I was propelled out of that strange world with its shadowy figures. When my eyes opened I lay in my pallet resting near to Niko, outside darkness had fallen not a star was out tonight the moon was nowhere in sight. All around the cabin was a thick coalescing writhing mass of shadows bright red eyes glistening in the night. All around me bright blue lights flashed as the shadows surged toward us they howled as they crashed into what appeared to be a barrier. I knew I was safe and that Niko was using what was left of his power to protect me but I still couldn't shake my fear.

Leaning over Niko I pressed my forehead to his own, needing to be nearer to him, to feel his solid warmth, I needed him healthy and awake. With a sort of sigh Niko opened his eyes blood shot and a muddy brown, the color of green mixed with purple. His warm breath misted over the skin of my face, he smiled looking weak, but better. "May I ask what you're doing?" Pulling away from him I was surprised to feel his hand holding me down, I blushed, "well, um, you see when I was little my brother used to press his forehead against mine and say this little charm 'sickness, sickness, in Niko come out! Health in me, health in me, pass into Niko!' he'd use it for anything bad, sickness, bad dreams anything!"

.

Niko removed his hand and let me pull away, "sorry to tell you but-"he cut off his eyes widening. Abruptly he sat up looking incredulous whatever it was I didn't get the chance to ask. There was an inhuman screech and a flash of dark light from outside suddenly the door to the hut was thrown open, in the light of the barrier all I could make out was the silhouette of a man.

___________________________________________________________________________

Darn me and my love of cliffhangers! haha another chapter should be posted in a bit...then again it IS two in the mornin, oh well

xxNigh101