CHAPTER: 7

PAST

"Sometimes, only the absence of a person elicits the presence of their importance in our lives. And even though they have left us, they are with us in the form of blitheful memories. And that's why we keep on remembering them; that's why we keep waiting for them; and that's why we keep falling for them all over again."

"............clearly as it was a head-on collision and because the patient was driving with extremely high speed, very serious injuries have encapsulated him."

I closed my eyes preventing the tears to flow out from my eyes again and squeezed the hand I was holding since the moment I entered this shitty place.

"First, because of this serious collision there is internal bleeding in the patient's head, which has resulted into lack of consciousness and......"

And the tears started dripping down my face. This time, he squeezed my hand, comforting me.

".......because of the physical trauma, lacerations have been found in his liver............."

No, this cannot be true. Please tell me it's a dream. A very bad dream.

"As for now, we have kept him under scrutiny, we have done various tests and blood transfusions have been done to stop the internal bleeding. But the thing is, we cannot say anything right now, as he has not gained consciousness yet. He will be kept under observation for 24 hours, until then, if he has not gained any consciousness, we will have to perform a surgery.........."

My ears couldn't take it anymore, as uncountable tears started flowing out of my eyes as I realized that Neil was, literally, on the death bed. And there was the slightest possibility that I may never get to see him again. That thought, that single thought was enough to shake my whole body with fear.

More tears started rolling down my cheeks when I saw Neil's parents and how even their eyes were filled with tears.

Jake, who brought me here and who was with me this whole time, used his strong hands to pull my shoulders and forced me to face him.

I looked down as I knew that I couldn't help my special friend. I couldn't bring him out of this dark hole. I was helpless. And I was gripped by the fear of losing him, by the fear that he might never wake up. My heart pained with this grief and I sobbed uncontrollably.

"Hey, Hey, Hey". Jake said as he took a step closer to me.

"Look at me." He continued with concerned yet demanding voice.

"Look at me, Sarah."

I raised my head and looked him in the eyes. The tears were still rolling down my cheeks and my eyes stung with all the crying.

He took a step forward and placed his warm hand on my cheek:

"Everything will be alright, Okay? Don't lose hope. He will be alright. Ok?"

He used the other hand, which was free, to rub the tears off my face.

Standing there, in the middle of a lobby of the hospital, with my best friend sleeping in one of its rooms counting probably the last days of his life, I thought for a second, just for a second, that everything might actually turn out to be okay, when he said it that way.

I felt as if everything would turn out to be normal; that Neil would come out running from one of these rooms and say it was just some stupid joke.