CHAPTER: 3

PAST

Sometimes the time spent with a person is so golden that you just want to freeze the moment then and there. You do not want to think about moving further, you just want to enjoy the eternal happiness that is flowing inside you. And when given a choice between the world and that person, you'll always choose that person, because that person has become your world.

'Bonne Journee les etudiants'.

And that's how my French class ended in the manner it ends everyday. I made my out of the grey and gloomy building into the open evening air of New York city with Neil by my side who is my good friend from the French tuitions, is Indian and very much gay. When the first time he opened about his sexuality to me, I was quite shocked because a man of his physique and masculinity would make girls go crazy about him. But in his case, I think, he would probably make men crazy about him.

I noticed a goofy grin on his face, the one that crazy girls wear when their crush makes an insignificant comment on them, when they are texting.

"Whom are you texting?"

"Sean". He replied without even looking up from his phone.

"Your new lab partner?" So much for a lab partner.

"My hot new lab partner." He said correcting me, as if that word mattered to me.

"You guys have exchanged numbers already?"

"Ofcourse, Sarah. He is really cool, you should meet him. I think he is also gay because one time when our hands accidentally touched, he quickly took away, you know."

"Duh, dimwit. It literally means that he knows that you are gay."

"No, dimwit. It means that he feels the electricity between us."

Well, it was futile to argue with Neil on this topic because he knows better about these things than me. The other time when a guy was gawking at me in French classes, I thought that I must really look bad because that day I came in my pajamas, but according to Neil which was actually the reality, that guy found me attractive and he wanted my phone number. The whole getting-him-thrown-out-of-life is a different and a long story.

As we continued walking to our homes, Neil kept texting Sean with the same goofy grin on his face that he had earlier. I've never had any gay friends before, so when the first time he told me that he was gay, it took me few days to see him like that way but after that it became quite normal and I realized that he is the same person inside out. His sexuality, or anybody's sexuality, doesn't change person's innate qualities and they remain the same as they were before.

As a matter of fact, I am the only person to whom Neil has opened up to. As he comes from a conservative background, he did not tell his parents about it nor his friends who, majorly, belong to the same nationality.