Chapter 3

Sure enough not too far beyond the tree line I found a creek. It was fast but wasn't very deep and there were plenty of rocks I could sit on. Hanging my sack on a branch I started rinsing my spare clothes. It was a red t-shirt and a simple pair of jeans. I let them dry in the sun. There were hours still to go before the claiming that night. The afternoon was set apart for the individuals from the packs to get to know one another,  to start friendships, and to encourage inter communication. While they were drying I relaxed in the calm atmosphere. It was truly beautiful here. Most of the trees near our pack were scrubby junipers. These trees were tall and provided plenty of shade under the sun. I appreciated their cover even in the chilly October air.
     When they were dry enough to wear I pulled off my ceremonial clothes and quickly rinsed in the chilly water. Goosebumps riddled my skin as I hurriedly splashed the water across my skin. I pulled on my T-shirt and jeans while I cleansed the milk from my ceremonial outfit. Letting it air dry I tried to warm up after the frigid water. I was shivering a little and could notice the sun getting lower as the pitch of the trees shadows changed. I switched outfits again. They were damp but would have to do. I gathered my things and headed back to the clearing.
     Bonfires had been started and food was roasting.  I could practically feel myself drooling. Quietly surveying the groups around me I noticed the packs had merged and everyone was getting to know one another. I noticed Althea in a group and quickly walked passed. I chose a quieter group towards the north end of the clearing.  Most of the kids here were sitting and talking amongst themselves quietly. I took an empty seat on a log with back directly to the forest and enjoyed the fires warmth.  There were eight of us including me, five boys and two other girls. Three of the boys, two blondes and a red head, were talking animatedly to each other about a soccer game. The girl with silvery blond hair had commandeered the attention of the remaining boys, both with black hair.
      The last girl had curly brown  hair and was watching me with curiosity in her eyes. I gave her a smile which she returned before standing and coming to sit next to me. Her voice was lower then I expected and silky when she spoke, "my name is Angelina, I'm from the Rising Smoke pack and you are?" "Kara, from the Juniper Valley pack," she nodded her head as if it made sense to her, "well then, Kara from the Juniper Valley pack, are you excited for you claiming?" My smile got bigger even as my chest felt tight, "yes and no. I am excited but I'm also nervous." "Me too, any of these fools will tell you the same if they were able to notice anything other then each other," she waved her hand at the others of our group as we laughed softly. One of the blonde haired boys looked up, "Come on Angelina you know that's not fair, how often do I find two mates who love soccer as much as me? I'm Dan by the way, also from Rising Smoke, Lina there happens to be my cousin." Each of the kids took turns introducing themselves then: the other blonde was Garrett from Ash Mountain; the red haired boy was Devin from Charisma; the black haired boys were twins Ethan and Evan from Tri-Peaks; and the silvery blonde haired girl was Erica from Ashland.
We talked excitedly about the claiming until one of the chaperones came by announcing dinner. We walked as a group to the line before the table of food. Paper plates stood at the end before one the most glorious spread of food I had ever seen. Mounds of mashed potatoes piled high, venison, elk, whole turkeys, bowls of apples, salads, green beans with bacon chunks, peaches, and ... delectable deliciousness oh my gosh... ice cream at the end of the table, gallons of it.
I piled my plate as tall as I could without dropping things off the edge, making sure to sneak a few of the apples into my sack to take home to mother. I took a bowl of ice cream mixed with both vanilla and mint chocolate chip. Back at our fire everyone was too busy stuffing their faces with the amazing food to talk.
I leaned back completely stuffed, my stomach groaning. The others seemed to be in the same state as me and I was nearly in a good coma. Angelina was lying on the ground near me with both hands over her stomach, "ugh," she groaned, "I think I have a food baby." I was laughing with the others when we were suddenly cut off.
There was a sound in the trees. We got quiet and listened again. It was still there. The entire clearing quieted. The moon was rising throwing the trees into a silvery light broken only by the red dancing flames. Drums were sounding all around us. They had started out slowly. Bum. Bum. Bum. Bum. Then started to speed up until the were keeping a quick regular rhythm. My heart soon paced itself to the drums, fluttering in my chest like it wanted to take flight.
The Claiming had begun.