Chapter Eight

I love this banner it's awesome! Thank you so much KaiyaLove for making this for me (:

If you guys want to send in your banners/fan art for Kael, my email is open!! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1654

~Jada

"There has to be a mistake."

Niko had his back turned to me, dismissing me. I had tracked him all the way to his office, which was in a building I was technically not prohibited to enter. Which is why I had caught him right before he had entered. And at my presence, he did not look all that fazed. However, he should have seen this coming.

With one hand on the glass door to his office building, Niko looks back at me. He's all the more intimidating when he's irritated. All I want to know is why my Alpha's name is upon my piece of paper.

His eyes drift down to the letter grasped within my fingertips. "I don't make mistakes."

"Clearly you have," I say, wishing I had the piece of mind to speak less aggressively to the person who has a say in whether I stay in this competition or not. "I don't remember there being a competitor named Kael in my group. Especially with the title Alpha!"

Niko sighs deeply, raising an eyebrow at me pointedly. "Is that sarcasm?"

I bite back some kind of retort on his stupidity. Being brash and abusive is not a technique I can imagine him appreciating. Or at least, reacting to in the way I'm looking for. He isn't Mistress Cunningham, after all. This man is trained to use his words in his favour, which means me raising my voice will do nothing for me.

My teeth grind together. "I just don't understand why I wasn't given the name of one of my competitors. Like everyone else..."

"I don't make all the rules," Niko tells me. "The Alpha has the final say."

He wanted this. Kael did. Does he purposely want me out of this competition, or did he throw a random one of us into the mix? Either way, this means I stand no chance. No one, me included, would be able to figure anything about the Alpha without total permission. Even the press, who make it their life's mission to find something interesting about him have never released anything to the public to cause intrigue. It's simple.

I'm done.

"I don't know the Alpha's routine. I don't know where he lives, where his office is. How am I meant to find anything out?" I question, wishing Niko wasn't giving me that stubborn look that insinuates he has no interest in helping me.

"This is a challenge, not a walk in that park. I give rules, not instructions," Niko says surely, arms folding over his chest.

My hands clench by my side, frustrated that this is getting nowhere. "I just want to know why. Why me?"

Niko doesn't answer me straight away. He seems to be considering how to answer me. Clearly, he is worried about stepping over a line created by Kael. If I find out anything the officials that run this place don't want me to, then I might as well walk myself out of the competition.

"I don't have an answer to that," Niko says, propping the glass door open to his office. "I'm sure you'll figure it out."

And with that, he walks inside, and leaves me at the doorstep, dumbfounded.

***

Everyone had a strategy sorted by the end of the day. Aside from me.

I've seen Alpha Kael twice, and he said little and always left out the same door. When I tried to investigate where it went, I was scolded by unfamiliar trainers and told to head back to my building. So most of the day I've spent in the library, watching the way people observe each other. I had gotten so frustrated with my situation, I made a game out of.