XVI

"You had to give him that answer," I say to myself laying my head on my knees. I've been through painful times before. Like, leaving my parent, and living hours away. To missing the holidays because I've had to work. Yet Harper not talking, and walking away was more painful. I'll always know my parent will be in my life. I know I'll always have something to go back too, yet that isn't the case with Harper. Sure, I rejected him in a romantic way, yet maybe we're still friends?

I laugh rolling my eyes, "In my dreams, " I wipe my tears trying to stop them yet they just keep flowing. I stand up beginning to walk towards the castle, but instead of taking the main entrance I decided on the side entrance to the maid's living area. Quickly walking inside to my room so no one can see me, and start rumors. Slamming my door shut and resting my back against the door. Taking a few breathing I make my way over to my bed then fall onto my bed.

"What the heck happened?"

I say looking at the ceiling, Less than an hour ago I was in this room getting ready to see Harper. Overjoyed to see him. These last few weeks have been some of the best weeks of my life, yet now mean nothing because we're both bound to rules. Thinking back to when Morgan told us the rule, and I remember thinking that I had nothing to worry about. Flashforward a few months, and I just came close to breaking the very rule I'm not supposed to break. I hear my door slam open, and I shoot up from my bed.

"I got Andrew to finally make red velvet cake and boy am I glad. That man can bake. If he was single," Jo stops mid-sentence in shock, "A-are you okay?" She stutters through her words quickly walking over to me. I shrug sitting back down on my bed, "June what the heck happened?"

"Funny because I asked myself the same question," I respond fight back tears.

Jo frowns, " Is something wrong at home?" I shake my head wishing that was the problem, " Did Silva yell at you?"

"I wish," I whisper.

"Well, then what happened?" Jo narrows her eyes wanting to know.

"Harper," I say in weak voice remembering what occurred moments ago.

"What did he do?" She says quickly.

I shake my head, "He did nothing."

"If he did nothing then why is Harper the problem?" Jo raises an eyebrow quite lost.

"It's a long story," I say not wanting to explain.

"June I just got off a work shift. I have until 6 in the morning tomorrow. I think that's enough time."

" Is it though?" I question hoping she won't make me tell what happened.

Jo rolls her eyes, "So, it's something with Harper? Did he say something?" I think for a moment and shrug, "June you gotta give me more than that."

"Well, I mean he said something."

"And what did he say," Jo leans forward wanting to know more.

" Well, we first got to talking about our days."

"And?"

"And his sister called, and she wanted to talk to me. His sister asked me if Harper had asked me. Which at the time I was pretty confused. But she said a...date" She whispers the last word hoping Jo didn't hear.

"A what?"

"Date?" I whisper a little louder.

"WHAT?!" Jo shrieks. I cringe at the how loud she was, "Sorry, but doesn't he know the rule?" I nod, "And what did he say?"

"That he didn't care if our lives were at risk," I shrug

"Wow," Jo's eyes widen.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm just surprised."

"Why?" I say annoyed that she didn't give a full answer.

"Well...think about it. He still wanted to ask you out even though he knew the rule. Knowing full well that his life would at risk. Plus, he could lose his business and moved down to being ab 8. Yet he didn't care."

I begin to tears up again, "And?"

" June if the guy didn't like....or even love you he wouldn't have asked you out knowing he could lose everything."

"L-l-love," I say barely being able to say the word. Could he? I mean not after what happened.

Jo shrugs, " I don't know. Maybe, but that's your call. But hearing that he asked you out after knowing everything kinda leads me to believe he might think your special June. He was willing to give up everything for you"

"B-but the rules Jo. You know what they say," I wipes my tear trying to contain my emotions.

"Hey," Jo puts her hands up, "I'm not saying you should date the guy. Not one bit. But all I'm saying for once in your life do what you want. For once don't think about what others want you to do. What does June want?"

"June doesn't know what she wants," I shrug laying down on my bed.

"And why doesn't June know? May it be that she may have feelings for someone?" Jo smiles.

" June does not have feelings for Harper," I cringe pulling the blankets over my face.

" Mhm....sure. But June, again I'm not saying you should or shouldn't date him. All I'm saying is for once do something you want," I hear Jo walk over to the door and open it, "But just know June. For the last few weeks, you've seemed different. You've seemed..."She trails off, " a lot happier. My gut tells that's because of Harper," She says then closes the door.

"Maybe June does have feelings for Harper," I say under my blanket with a smile on my face.