CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Some time after, I returned to my normal life, the mountainous amount of patients had me lacking attention for myself, my encounter with the young Chinese-Canadian teenager had gradually been forgotten just like all my other patients. Only occasionally when I read the newspapers, media reports and speculation on this country widespread case would I be reminded of my once close contact with the core of it.

In fact, I was not the least bit worried about his situation, which was ultimately not just attributed to my trust and understanding towards Konrad. As far as I know, when a person is placed in such a mandatory environment which also posed a tangible threat to his life, all acts can be classified under the scope of self-defense.

Perhaps a person like me who knew nothing much about law could be seated in the jury, voting for his innocence. However I was slightly wavered and uneasy by Mike’s words, if he lied to me again, helping him would be entirely out of question.

“I have time, I mean for the trial.” I said.

“Oh is it?” Your patient appointments have actually been scheduled all the way to next month haven’t they? It seems like you have taken a serious interest towards this kid, to the extent where he has now become a VIP patient.” David said with a smile.

“I said I have no way around cute kids,” I revealed a smile, “this is really meaningful, I am someone hired by you but ironically, I’m hoping now that you’d lose the case.”

“You judge a book by its cover,” David said through his hoarse voice, “in the future I would have you treat the ugly criminals.”

“Please don’t torment me like that,” I said, “you will only result in me wanting a change of occupation. Alright, that’s it, see you next week, say hello for me.”

“Are you referring to Mike or that kid.” He laughed.

“Figure it out yourself.” I hung up the phone.

Thursday, the sky was somewhat gloomy, being accustomed to deciding on my mood according to the weather, I felt a tingling hinge of fear. As I drove nearer to the court, I saw a large group of media personnels, many of whom had Asian faces.

As I got out of the car after parking, the media started filming me, probably because of the suit I was clad in and the free access bureau badge pinned. An asian who could not comprehend english extended her mike towards my mouth, asking if I was a lawyer or an investigative officer.

I waved, intending to end the episode.

A loud voice abruptly traveled towards my ears, “is that the family of the deceased ….....” and then the crowd swarmed in the direction behind me, I instinctively looked back to see an old looking middle aged man guarding a middle age women from all the gossipy inquiries from the media, in addition to their helpless situation, they probably did not understand what the media was asking.

I sighed and squeezed my way through to protect the two, “Will you please give way?” I said as I brought them up the stairs and towards the entrance, majority of media were serenaded outside.

“Thank you.” The middle aged woman said with her head down.

“Korean? Chinese?” I asked in simple english, anticipating their comprehension.
The middle aged woman look to the male, “Chinese.” Said the man in Chinese.

“Oh is it? Same here.” I smiled, watching as they clearly felt more relieved. That woman held up my hand and said, “When we arrived there was a language barrier, the reception staff seemed so busy, we were worried about not being able to find the way today.”

“Everything is fine, haven’t you arrived?” I brought them into the court waiting room, there were still not many people present, I made my way to the coffee machine in the corner to pour two cups of sweetened coffee with milk.
“Only coffee is available, please make do with it.” I said.
“Thank you, thank you …” They quickly stood up to take it, however not seeming to be too interested in coffee, “Are you from the police department as well?” He asked.

“Oh, no,” I said with a laughter, “I am a doctor.”

“Doctor? …...” They seemed to be puzzled, “doctors have to be present in court too …. Forensic doctor?” They suddenly tensed up.
I hastened to comfort them, “No, no, I’m just a psychiatrist, one who had contact with the suspect.”

Their expression changed slightly, probably upon hearing the word “suspect.”

“If it is not too intrusive, you are …......” I wrestled with the choice of words, cautiously asking, “whose parents?”

The middle aged woman looked at her husband and spoke, “I’m not too sure if you know him, but my son is called Zhang Yixing.”