4 | 6

The night air was chilly, especially as a gust of wind made wisps of my hair brush my face. I crossed my arms as I stood next to Jake, watching the dark airport through the chain link fence that protected it.

So far, there hadn't been any signs of the Club. Then again, we were there early. According to Mariette, the plane was going to be taking off at 5:00, so we still had about another hour to go.

The two of us were well hidden. A large tree that hung over us prevented the rays of luminous moonlight from revealing us to anyone who might be scouting the area. Other than the moon, the only sources of light came from the airport itself. Tall light poles emitted yellow-orange light that was fogged with the morning dew in the air.

I glanced over at my partner. Jake was standing straight, eyes slightly narrowed at the airport as he got the look on his face that he wore when he was contemplating something. The breeze ruffled through his unruly hair and blew the strands into his eyes. I looked away, trying to clear my mind.

We stood there for what seemed like hours, watching and waiting for any sign that the Club had arrived. I clenched and unclenched my hands, trying to regain the feeling in my numb fingertips. Jake had no reaction to the cold, making me wonder if he was immune to it.

Time went on and there was still no sign of the Crepuscule Club. Eventually, a horrible idea crossed my mind: what if Mariette had lied to us about the location of our teammates? What if we were being lured into a trap instead?

      My mind cleared when the sound of running motors interrupted the calm night. Shrinking back farther from the fence, I watched as a battalion of armored trucks made their way onto the airport. Counting quickly, I found that there were five of them.

The airport had been quiet and calm two minutes ago. Now, it was bustling with chaotic energy. Criminals flooded out of the massive vehicles, shouldering guns and wielding knives that glinted in the moonlight. Wheels squeaked as a large plane was pulled out of a hangar.

I glanced at Jake, waiting for his signal. He still stood motionless, closely watching the rapidly moving gangsters. He was waiting for the cargo to be taken out: our teammates.

      Finally, a few armed men dragged out the first prisoner from the truck in the middle. I couldn't tell who it was due to the bag over their head, but they didn't seem to be conscious.

      At long last, Jake turned towards me and gave a nod. Without another glance back, I silently jumped the fence and ran for cover by the hangars. Gripping onto the overhanging roof of a short hangar, I pulled myself to crouch on top.

      Below, the Club members were still unloading the prisoners. Their still bodies lay on the asphalt like corpses. I could see how tightly the ropes were tied around their limbs, restraining any movement.

A dark shape to the left caught my eye. It was Jake, stalking around the backside of the hangars to come up behind the gangsters. I followed him from up above, making sure that I didn't block the moonlight from the Club and give myself away. I leaped from roof to roof like a cat, soundless and deadly.

      Jake rounded the corner, staying as close to the buildings as possible. He hadn't been spotted yet, and he was getting nearer and nearer to the spot that he'd launch the trap. I left him, going the opposite way, so that the gangsters below would be surrounded when the confrontation came.

      I watched as the last member of our crew was dragged out the back of the truck. The side doors of the airplane were opened and the Club began dragging the prisoners inside. It was now or never.