Camp Evan's Lake

The plane flew smoothly above the clouds. John had only been on a plane once before, when Harry took him to California. At that time he was only 7, and he couldn't remember the experience much at all.

"Hey," John jumped at Sherlock's sudden voice, "You alright?"

"Uh, y-yeah," John stammered, collecting himself, "Fine."

John looked out the window. He could no longer see the ocean down below, only the thick, pillowy clouds.

When the plane touched down in British Columbia, Canada, all the college students went into their assigned buses which were parked in the lot. Everything looked so similar yet so different at the same time.

"Let's go over some rules, shall we?" A teacher stood in front of the bus, holding a clipboard and pen, "The major rules are: No drugs or alcohol, no violent acts, and no sexual activity of any kind..."

John stopped really listening, remembering back to the shag carpet incident. He hoped Sherlock would play by the rules and not pull anything, and if he didn't, John hoped to God they wouldn't get caught.

He braced himself. When has Sherlock ever played by the rules?

He felt warmth creeping up his neck and he looked up to see Sherlock giving him a 'look.' He wasn't sure what the look meant, but it was seductive as hell.

"Don't," John murmured, almost inaudibly so others wouldn't hear, "Not in front of everyone. Someone might catch on."

"To what?" Sherlock adjusted his expression to one more friend-like. John sighed, "To us."

Sherlock furrowed his brow, "Us? Are we a thing?"

"Well, I'm not just your sex toy, Sherlock. Or...Am I?" John began to wonder: Did the future detective really like him, or was this all just a game?

"No, John, of course not!" Sherlock mumbled under his breath, "I just never thought I'd have a 'thing' with anyone, ever."

John parted his lips but was unable to say anything. Poor Sherlock. Still so insecure about himself, and John was determined to help him see what he sees.

"Mr. Holmes, Mr. Watson? Could you please cease conversation? We are reviewing important rules," the teather huffed. Whoops.

"Sorry, sir," John mumbled, "We're listening."

"I hope so," he muttered before continuing. John heard giggles and the words "queer" and "fag" being thrown around. God, can't two men have any kind of conversation without being called gay? Granted, it was a discussion about their relationship, but nobody else knew that.

John's cheeks heated up in anger. He wanted to spring up and punch whoever was spreading rumors about them. They are the reason Sherlock is so insecure. They are the reason Sherlock cut. They are the reason he jumped from the roof of the school.

The future doctor forced his temper down. The teacher was watching. Later.

Eventually, the bus rolled up to a camp which had eight cabins, two bathrooms, a mess hall, a sizeable field, a lake, forest trails, and a campfire.

"Everyone gather on the stairs," the principal announced, "And the camp leader will go over this week's activities."

Everyone gathered on the large staircase that separated the cabins on the hill and the field and lake.

Everyone sat down, the stairs seating all, and the teachers all stood around what looked to be the camp leader.

"Hello everyone!" He began when we'd all quieted down, "I am Mr. Knight, but please, call me Henry. Welcome to Camp Evans Lake!"