Back To School

It was 10:45 AM, January the 5th. Over the break, John's wound had healed almost completely and he'd visited Dr. Martin's clinic quite a few times. They now had a close relationship, as far as mentor-apprentice goes.

John was packing up his things, which Sherlock had nicely washed for him. Sherlock's bags were already packed and ready at the front door.

"So," the taller boy looked into John's room, "Ready for the school camping trip?"

"Oh, yeah, I heard about that. Most colleges don't have field trips."

"Well, Sir Arthur's is different. For the better. I heard it's a real fun camp from some of the older students. I honestly can't wait," Sherlock smiled.

"It sucks that the break is over, but I'm kinda glad to get back to school. Being here is...Difficult."

"Hey," Sherlock walked up and held John's shoulders, "We're gonna get him in jail, you hear? Just you wait."

John nodded, "Yeah, I know. But for now, let's just focus on getting a cab out of here, quick as possible."

"You all packed?"

"Yup."

"Let's go."

Sherlock helped John bring his heavy bag down the steps, letting John take it to free his hands for his own bags.

"Goodbye, boys!" Sherrinford chimed, waving off Mycroft, who dragged his hefty suitcase down the hall, murmuring a goodbye as he passed his elder brother.

Sherlock, without saying a word, exited the house to find the cab already waiting. Somehow, they managed to fit all their bags in the trunk, save for one small, handheld case for special items, which Mycroft carried.

They jumped in the backseat and the cab took off, leaving a trail of dust as it left the town and drove onto the dirt road that led across the country and into London.

About an hour later, they pulled up at Sir Arthur's. Everything was just as they left it-- not that they expected it to change-- and many others were just arriving as well. It was the beginning of the year all over again.

The three hauled their bags up the front steps and into the large entrance hall, Mycroft leaving in the direction of his and Greg's dorm. Supposedly he'd seen Greg over the break, but Sherlock didn't pry.

They took the lift up to Floor 2, making their way to the B Wing. Sherlock counted off the rooms, "19, 20, 21."

John followed his roommate into room 221, and it was all the same. Same musty smell, same beds, same drawers...So nice and familiar.

"They've done room service I see," Sherlock observed.

"Yep," John began to unload his belongings into his drawer, same one as before.

"Don't unpack, silly," Sherlock murmured, "We leave for camp tomorrow."

John, feeling stupid, put his clothes back into his bag.

A couple hours passed, and at exactly 1:30 PM, there was a message over the P.A.:

"All students are to report to the auditorium for an assembly. Please be quick."

Sherlock hopped off his bunk and he and John left for the auditorium. Students were already quickly filing in, taking their seats with friends.

Once most were in, save for a few who came in late, Principal Brook took the stage, tapping the microphone at his podium.

"Your attention please," his voice rang out into the ears of all the gathered students, "As you know, tomorrow we leave for the usual camping trip at Evan's Lake in Squamish, BC. Do not unpack your things. We leave at 12:00 sharp tomorrow, and I want you all out on the front lawn by then with all your stuff. We should arrive at that camp at close to 10 o'clock that night. If you have any questions, please ask the secretary at my office. Thank you."