Chapter Fifteen: Not Your Fairytale Ending

Start from the beginning

His green eyes filled with regret and despair as he turned from my doorstep. With the slightest turn of his head, he warned, "Just know that Dylan isn't a saint either. He's still a guy with needs."

"Why should I believe anything you have to say now?" I managed to get out.

"You don't have to believe me. But you'll see what I mean soon."

I gaped after Ryan as he stormed out of my driveway. What did he mean by that? Should I talk to Dylan now?

As if on cue, my phone went off with Dylan's name flashing across the screen. My pulse quickened as I answered the call. "Hello?"

"Kaylee? Um, do you think...maybe we could..."

"Dylan, you're kind of mumbling."

"Do you think we could meet up at the local park?" he rushed out. "I have to talk to you."

"S-sure," I stammered. "I'll see you then."

I hung up the phone and sighed. Hopefully he could greet me with some good news or encouraging words. At this point, I really don't think our relationship could handle much more of a strain.

***

The swings squeaked from age as we swung back and forth beside one another. It had been silent for a few minutes now. I think we both didn't really know how to start talking to each other. We were going through the awkward phase that follows being apart for a while.

"So..."

My head whipped in the direction of Dylan after he cleared his throat. "So..."

"How've you been?"

"I've had better days," I admitted. "How's life been treating you?"

"Same old, same old. Except I've been missing you."

"Dylan, I -"

"Like crazy," he interrupted.

I sighed. "I've missed you too, but I really don't think we can just pick up where we left off. Some trust has definitely been lost and it's going to take some time to rebuild it."

"Look, I know where you're coming from," he started. "But I really don't think -"

My phone's chime cut off Dylan. However, it was what was on the screen that caught my attention the most. Suddenly, my throat went dry and I felt nauseous.

"Kaylee are you even listening to me?" Dylan cried out exasperatedly. When he noticed my demeanor, however, his voice lost its irritation. "What happened? You look a little pale. Are you alright?"

I shook my head wildly as tears threatened to pour out of my eyes. When he tried to put a comforting arm around me, I flinched and shoved him away. "Get off of me!"

He moved away, startled. "Why are you acting like this?"

"Don't act like you don't know, Dylan dear," I spat in a sickly sweet voice.

"I really don't understand what's going on -"

I cut off his words by shoving my phone in his face. As he took in the picture, his eyes went wide and he paled. The guilt plastered across his face told me all I needed to know.

"So let me get this straight," I said in a frighteningly calm voice. "I tell you I need a break after you kept a huge secret from me. I trust you enough to leave it at a break instead of breaking up for good. I don't go off on a yelling rampage at you. And what do you do in return? You go and make mushy face with that slut, Ashleigh."