Chapter Thirty Three

A few days had passed on the farm. Another few days where it'd just gotten colder. Leaves had even begun to change. Some would just fall, but mostly they stayed on the trees. A few strong, chilly gusts of wind would blow through the fields. Livestock was moved closer to the farm. The barn was now empty, and cleaned out, thankfully. Bodies were buried. A walker still hadn't been seen on the property, thankfully, but Hershel had explained to Rick that the swamps around the farm would be drying up soon, leaving it somewhat unprotected. 

Adam had kept quiet about Nick's secret. He killed Otis, and that's all there was to it. He saved Mikaela's life. Mikaela was alive, but Otis was not. Adam tried his best to shrug it off, but he had it on his mind. He could hold a secret if he really needed to, but in certain times, he could not. He just hoped that it was one of the times that he could.

Beckah had recovered with Hershel's treatment. She had been up and walking a little, but not much. She tried her best to eat, but she refused food most of the time. She was pale, not regaining her color back yet. Her black hair was frizzy. She was a mess, she thought to herself. She needed to regain whatever she had before. Sanity? No. Herself.

Nick had been the same. It wasn't any different, as he helped out around the camp. He tried his best to keep strong, which didn't take much effort. He was solid, not letting things get to him emotionally. Rick and Lori saw that, and thought it might not be a bad thing after all. If death happened, it didn't affect Nick as much. That was useful in a world like the one present. 

Mikaela and Ethan kept their normal routines. Mikaela would help Brittany and Taylor feed the chickens, as she often thought about life before the apocalypse. How much more simple it was, and how less fear there was. She sighed, tossing corn and seed onto the floor. 

Taylor had kept to herself, taking watch every so often. Beth gave her some pants to wear, as they were the same height and size. They fit well, thankfully, as Taylor put away her shorts. She kept her hat, though. It was special to her. She kept her knife close, gun in her waist, safety clicked off.

Brittany had taken an emotional path. She began to distance herself, as she figured if anyone died, it'd be easier on herself. She kept a smile for when Anthony died, but inside, she was miserable. She'd gotten to know Anthony, and began to like him. She would take long walks around the farm, thinking about the past. Then the future. She preferred the past. 

Tensions began to rise with people; Andrea had stayed outside, helping the men with their work, instead of being inside with Lori and helping with laundry, dinner, and other chores similar to that. Lori had a somewhat bitter taste for Andrea. Lori had a small bit of feelings for Shane left, and with Andrea being there with him, she didn't like it.

Glenn and Maggie had grown even closer. They both confided in their love for one another, making their relationship more real. It was nice in the world that they were in to have what they had, they both thought.

Carol had been keeping to herself. She helped out as much as possible, but it was tiring. She helped out with Beckah as much as possible, taking shifts for Lori.

In Woodbury, Anthony had taken watch quite a bit. He would shoot walkers with a gun occasionally, but the other men had taught him how to use a bow. It was much better, as you could re-use the arrows. It was.. different. He was still adequate at it, but he needed more time. Savannah had helped him, as she had some experience with a bow. 

More recruits came into Woodbury. Sometimes people would show up at the gates, or if The Governor went on runs, he'd bring people back. Anthony was surprised at how many people there actually were. Winter was approaching, so they arrived at the right time. Woodbury was getting ready for winter, as they began to stock food, gather weapons and such.