Chapter Thirteen

Elsa’s P.O.V

I woke up with a splitting headache. I groaned and put my pillow on my head, blocking out the blinding sunlight.

“Princess Elsa,” Pitla said, shaking me. I could feel her cold hands through the blanket. “You are wanted in the Great Hall.”

“Tell Marius I can’t go. I feel sick,” I mumbled.

“Um, Elsa, the Queen and King requested you.”

I sat up straight in bed and looked at Pitla with wide eyes. I didn’t even notice she called me Elsa and not Princess in front if it. “Wh-what do they want?”

Pitla shrugged and I sprang out of bed. “Give me the purple with the green in it. Pitla gave it to me and I went behind the curtain. I looked down at my dress and noticed it was the dress I wore to the party last night. I frowned and tried to remember what exactly happened last night but my mind was wiped blank. I hoped I didn’t offend anyone.

The queen, king, and Marius were waiting for me in the great hall. I stepped in timidly and walked up to them with my eyes down. My hands were shaking uncontrollably.

“Elsa of Arendelle,” the king said, his voice booming in the large room, “do you think we are stupid?”

“Wh-What? No! Of course not!” I said stupefied. I looked to the king than to the queen. They were glaring at me with stern expressions on their faces. My gaze went to Marius. “Marius, what’s going on? What are they talking about?”

He looked steadily into my eyes. “Show them, Elsa. Show them what you can do.”

My whole body seemed to turn into stone as I registered what he said. Show them what you can do. . . No. No. No. No. I didn’t! My heart sank and tears pricked my eyes. “My… My-”

“Powers,” Marius finished. “Show them.”

One thing you don’t do is refuse someone in front of the king and queen. Especially if it’s their son. I bit my lip and took off my gloves. I closed my eyes and flicked of my hand. I heard a gasp come from the queen then silence. I opened my eyes and saw everyone staring at me with a surprised look on their face. A hill of snow sat in front of me.

“H-how is this p-possible!” The king stuttered, jumping up. “Explain yourself!”

“I was born with powers,” I explained. “But I can control them, sir. Just watch.”

I got ready to freeze the floor but the King yelled, “GUARDS!”

I froze as three soldiers stormed into the room with their guns ready to shoot. I gasped and I stumbled backward, falling down. My eyes were trained on the guns. I’d never seen or been so close to a gun before.

“Lock her up, guards. Make sure she can’t escape.”

“Yes, sir,” One guard said. He pointed the gun at me and ordered, “Get up.” I obediently got up and they escorted me to the dungeon.

My heart was racing all the way there. I left my gloves in the great hall and I could feel the pressure of my powers building upside of me. I was sure they would explode soon. I kept my hands clenched and bit my lip with my head raised up high. Many servants watched in fascination and confusion.

I was relieved when they felt me alone in the cell. I slumped against the cool wall. Anger coursed through me as I thought back to last night. I couldn’t believe I told Marius about my powers. Conceal  don’t feel. Don’t let them know…

He deserved to know, Elsa, a tiny voice whispered. He was going to marry you for goodness’ sake!

I closed my eyes and sniffled. Through the anger, I felt relieved that I didn’t have to marry Marius. He was so stiff and proper it made me sick. Who could live like that? Maybe the king and queen would let me go home. I held on to that hope. Maybe I could see Anna again and we could become really close like we were before the accident.