Beautiful Creatures and Plain Faces

She repeated the process the next day, however this time she dived into the water to avoid the nasty fall. Her tail appeared and she gasped for air as it pulled her beneath the water. Trying again, she learnt how to use her tail, realising how much she'd missed the water.

She swam deeper into the ocean and came across a reef with huge steel archways at the entry. She passed by, curious and it was what was beyond them that took her breath away. She saw schools of giant multicolored fish, tiny dolphins played, giant starfish laid on rocks, tiny sharks and octopuses fought and emerald green turtles swam through bright coral.

She swam through cautiously but they barely noticed her, until a ginormous almost tiger like creature came towards her roaring; it had a tigers body and claws but fins and scales like a fish. She tried to swim away but the beast pulled her back by her tail, scratched her across her face and threw her towards the shore as if giving her a warning.

She rushed out of the water, desperate to get home.

******

She skipped her usual 'mermaid session' the next day so she could visit her sister in the hospital she had been transferred into for her last week. She walked past the plain walls, the people with plain clothes and plain faces who gave her strange looks as she went past as though she had grown a tail over night.

She reached her sister's room and saw a person she couldn't recognize, there was no trace of her sister anymore. She had bald patches across her head, her body was blue and bruised all over and her once sparkling blue eyes were dull and grey.

Ella immediately reached up to touch her sisters scratched cheek but fell back as it took too much strength that she didn't have. When her sister asked about it she changed the subject by showing her what she had brought from home, her favourite magazines and movies, her pointe shoes and tons of food because she knew Ella couldn't stand hospital food.

They talked and ate for hours until machines started to beep loudly and nurses rushed in pushing Paige out of the room telling her to go home.