Prologue

"Sweetie, please," Rebecca's mother pleaded with her. Rebecca's blonde hair swirled around her tear-streaked face, her upper lip quivering as she stared at her parents.

"Colorado? Seriously? All the way across America? No!" she protested defiantly. Even with the harsh winds and light mist around them, Rebecca's voice was still heard. Her mother sighed, auburn hair tied tight. She squinted at the blonde beauty in front of her.

"Becca," she started, gazing down into Rebecca's blue eyes. "It's only for a little while, please! There's a hurricane coming and you honestly want to stay in Jersey?"

"Yes! Why not?"

"It's dangerous, that's why!" Her mother looked around at the brewing storm. "Can we at least go inside to talk about this? This is absolutely ridiculous, Rebecca."

The young girl glared at her mother and stormed back up the sandstone steps in front of her very large home. She could here the soft 'pat-pat' of her mother's flat shoes behind her. Her father's heavy steps fell in with hers, and soon they were all the the warm comfort of their home again.

Becca stood in the foyer, arms crossed, dripping wet. Her parents had similar appearances but weren't being difficult.

"Rebecca --" her father started, but he was harshly interrupted.

"No, Dad! Listen for a second!" she shouted at them both. "You can't just make me leave! No! What's in Colorado? Colorado is a landlocked state, it doesn't have any beaches! It's always cold! It isn't New Jersey! And what about Brian? Is he leaving?" Becca was referring to her older brother who was currently attending Princeton University. He'd left almost a week ago, and Becca saw this as a good point to make.

"Brian can make his own decisions, Rebecca," her father said sternly.

"Dad! I'm sixteen! I can make my own decisions, too!"

"Not this one!" Her dad's voice stopped what Rebecca and his wife, Marie, were about to say. "You are going to Colorado to live with your aunt. And if needed, attend a local school. You will not, I repeat, will not stay in New Jersey for the next month. Understand?"

"But school starts in two weeks! What am I going to do about Jaz and Grace!? I can't just leave, no explanations!"

"That's the other thing," Marie said softly. "The Middleton's and Pezzati's are on the same level as us. They were thinking that Jaslyn and Grace should move with you into your Aunt Katherine's house." Her mother looked thoughtful for a moment. "It's really a splendid idea, if I do say so myself, because I knew you'd be difficult about this."

But Colorado? All they had in Colorado was snow, snow, and more snow. Not to mention snow. It was probably full of a bunch of crazy hicks who shot at wild animals for food. There couldn't be any actual vegetation that grew there, right? Colorado was a mountainous state, famous for sheep and school shootings. It was a bad decision.

Rebecca contemplated her mother's statement for another moment. Well, this was better. If she had her two best friends by her side, maybe this whole moving shin-dig wouldn't be so... difficult.

She was silent for another minute before before she spoke. "Fine."

Marie and her husband squealed, wrapping their arms around their young daughter. The both of them honestly thought she'd throw an even bigger of a temper tantrum, but her calmness was refreshing to them.

Marie pulled away. "You'll love Colorado, it's beautiful." Her mother paused. "You leave on Tuesday."

The blonde's eyebrows shot up. "Tuesday? But today is Sunday..."

"Exactly." Her mother beamed at her. "Come on, I'll help you pack!"