Chapter Twenty Three ♥ "Unveiling the truth"

Start from the beginning

Now, we sat face-to-face. He’d left a good distance between his knees and mine, I noticed because I was staring down and not at him. His silence carried on, buzzing in the room like some awful and disturbing sound.

‘It’s time you say something’ I thought and wondered if he was nervous or probably collecting his thoughts. Should I begin then? How would I look if I did? But we can’t stay silent all night long. Doesn’t he know I hate silence? Thousands of thoughts ran through my mind. His strange and troubling behavior led me to finally raise my head and take a better look at him to see what was wrong.

And when I did…

Zayed had his head bowed and elbows placed on both his knees, and that tapering chin was supported by his left hand. His eyes were fixed on the marble floor and an unusual energy radiated from him, like he was defeated or beaten. He was distressing me so I gathered the courage to say something, that’s when he looked up and caught me staring at him. I didn’t budge, keeping my gaze on those honey-brown eyes, which I had become familiar with; my heart recognized those brown eyes. Although the hard look on his face didn’t go unheeded. I saw no sign of appeasement on his face; he looked somewhat lost and confused.

I being me, tried to make things a little less awkward, and gave him a small smile, hoping he’d return it but he didn’t. He simply kept staring at me, or staring beyond me, his face gloomy, restless. I held his gaze and refused to let go, he seemed deeply disturbed and highly worried. I hadn’t seen him like this even when his father was in the hospital.

Without realizing I was frowning, which he noticed because he was watching me with a thoughtful, analyzing air.

“Is something wrong?” I uttered gathering some courage. He, in return, broke our stare; his eyes flashed down at my hands in my laps, and then back to me.

Zayed shook his head and fidgeted a little in his seat. He knew I was waiting and it had been long since I was waiting. For one explanation, one reason, anything.

I saw his chest heave up as he inhaled, and I copied his move but that didn’t help. The air that I breathed in seemed to be like water that reached my lungs and I felt like I was drowning, probably in his eyes.

“I’d promised to give you answers.” Zayed raised his face and began in a low, sunken voice. Upon hearing it my senses left me, the heart was of no help either. I literally had to drag my thoughts to focus on what his words had been. Answers, yes I needed answers. He hadn’t forgotten.

“For my decisions, my actions, I had promised to reason everything with you.” He spoke again.

I encouraged him with a slight nod, thankful to hear his voice, grateful to, at last, hear him say something.

“I am sure you’ve noticed the unnatural circumstances that brought us here.” He lowered his entwined fingers and placed them in his laps. “If you knew how many sources led me to you, you’d be astonished.” Zayed paused again, when he saw me smile at his words.

“Are they that many?” I murmured, shyly.

“They are too many.” He said, nodding.

“Are you afraid I won’t be able to handle them?” I silently asked.

“I know you won’t.” His jaw hardened.

His serious tone shut me up for a while and the light smile that played on my lips, faded. I grew eager to hear him out. And so I waited again for him to carry on.

“During the period of the engagement, the odd relationship that we shared was very different than that of the normal couples. I wish I could’ve portrayed my role in a better way.”