11

Evelyn leads me to the room where the Dauntless complete their mental stage of training. Several people have stared at Evelyn as she struts through the compound, wondering why she's alive. I almost forgot she faked her death.
Once we're in the room, Evelyn turns on the computer and I sit down in the chair, attaching the electrodes to my temples. I prepare the needle and serum. It's not difficult, it's the same needle I use for injecting death serum into divergents once my testing is complete and they've fulfilled their purpose. It's painful, but tolerable.
When I open my eyes, I appear to be standing in a void.
     "Jeanine," I hear a voice behind me say. I spin around to find my parents standing there. They are covered in blood, a long cut on my father's neck indicating that his throat was slit, and there seems to be a chunk of skin missing from my mother's side, so she probably bled to death.
     "It's your fault. You got us killed," My mother says calmly.
     "If you weren't homosexual, we'd still be alive," my father adds on, touching my face. His skin feels like acid. "Now you must pay."
     Just as he wraps his hand around my neck, he and my mother slowly fade away along with the void, and I find myself sitting back in the chair in the fear room.
     "I had to pull you out, something bad has happened," Evelyn says, sounding worried.
     "Why, what happened?" I ask.
     "I'm so sorry!" She whispers.
     "Evelyn, you're scaring me! What happened?"
     "Jake and Amy are missing again."
     Evelyn's words feel like bullet wounds in my heart, but at the same time I feel numb.
     This isn't happening.
     "Jeanine, I am so sorry, I swear I have nothing to do with this!" Evelyn says, wiping a tear off of my cheek. Apparently I started crying.
     "This isn't real," I whisper. Evelyn shakes her head.
     "I wish I could agree with you, but this is real."
     My vision begins to blur and black spots take over what was once the fear room. I just manage to see Tris barge into the room before I lose all consciousnesses.
     "Jeanine! Please, wake up!" Tris is bent over me. The bright lights hurt my eyes, and my head is sore.
     "Oh, thank god!" She gasps, wrapping her arms around me. Warmth fills my body as Tris plants a kiss on my lips. I slowly begin to regain my memory. The fear room, my parents, Evelyn pulling me out of the simulation to tell me Amy was gone again.
     "Is it true?" I ask. Tris sadly nods.
     "How long have I been out for?"
     "Several hours. You went into a coma."
     I stare into Tris's beautiful eyes for a short while, then tilt my head.
     "Amy's really gone then, huh?"
     "I'm afraid she is, Jeanine. I'm so sorry about all of this," Tris says, tears forming in her eyes. I wrap my arms around her neck, pulling her head in for a kiss.
     "Miss Matthews, I'm glad to see you're feeling better!" The doctor says loudly. I didn't notice he'd entered the room. I open my mouth to say something, but he keeps talking. "You're good to go home if you want. It seems your coma was somehow induced by sadness. Just take the next few days easy, so no physical activities, including sex."
     "Won't be a problem," I say reassuringly, then frown when I realize how sad that sounded. "Well, I'll leave then," I say.
     Tris drives me home that day. She helps me out of the car and brings my bag inside for me. Just as she's about to leave, I speak up.
     "Stay."
     Tris turns around and smiles.
     "The doctor said no sex, Jeanine," She laughs.
     "Please. We don't have to do anything, I just don't think I can make it through tonight."
     Tris smiles and walks over to me.
     "Fine."
     Tris takes off her jacket and shoes and lies down on my bed since I only have one bedroom, and I don't mind sharing it with her. I head to my closet to grab my pajamas before entering my bathroom to change and brush my teeth. When I look in the mirror I see a mess of a woman, whose parents were killed because she's lesbian and whose best friend ran away for the second time.
     I head back into my bedroom and notice a small envelope on my bedside table.
     "What's that?" Tris asks. I shrug and open the note that's inside, immediately recognizing Amy's handwriting.
     Jeanine,
As I'm writing this, I'm still in Dauntless. However, by the time you see this I'll likely be outside the fence already. Jake found a city that's about a twelve hours outside of Chicago. We are not the last people on this planet. The city we're going to is called New York, where we hope to restart our lives as a married couple. I hope you'll be alright, especially since you're not alone. You have Tris.
     I love you so much,
     Amy
     "Is it from Amy?" Tris asks quietly. I nod and hand the note over to her and smile as she reads it. When she gives it back, I hold it close to my heart.
     "We will be alright. Right?" I say, taking Tris's hand in mine.
     "Right."

THAT'S IT!!! THAT WAS CHASING AMY!!! if you see this, thanks for reading this piece of trash and I will probably be making a sequel uwu