7

I make my way to the car waiting for me outside the Dauntless compound, ready to take me home. It's late, and it's been a long day. I've spent the majority of my day on the verge of tears, and I desperately want to lie down. I get in the car without a thought, and sigh.
      "Hello, Jeanine," Evelyn says. She's sitting in the driver's seat. I didn't notice she was there, and I scowl.
      "Evelyn! What are you doing here?" I snarl. Evelyn smiles.
      "I have one final request. I will release Amy if you fulfill my expectations," she says.
      "Who do you want dead?" I ask jokingly, but Evelyn glares at me through the rear view mirror.
      "I'm sure you know him better than you want to," Evelyn states, handing my a photograph and a knife. I sigh, then look at the picture. And she's right. I do know him better than I wish I did. In fact, I know Marcus too well.
      "You kill Marcus in front of me, and Amy will be yours within 30 minutes."
      "I want Jake, too."
      "Who's Jake? Oh, yeah, sure, whatever."
      I think for a moment. I know Evelyn isn't the best at keeping her word, but I also want Marcus dead. Anyone in their right mind would want their assailant dead, after all. I come to believe her, even though it could be a mistake to do so.
      "Fine, I'm so it," I say, sitting up straight. Evelyn grins widely and starts the engine.
      "Perfect!"
      It's a short drive to where all the Abnegation live, but in the stillness of the car it's dreadfully long. When we're just about to park, I speak up.
      "Do you know about Marcus? I mean, what he did to me..." I ask cautiously.
       "Yeah, you're also not the only one he did that to. How do you think I had Tobias? Also, I overheard you opening up about your experience to Tris. I liked that. Oh, and I planted a bug in your top button," Evelyn says casually.
      "What?" I gasp, tearing the button off. I feel very exposed, delicate even, without it, but I like to be in control of who hears what I say.
      "We're here."
      I step out of the car. I'm exhausted, but I still follow Evelyn as she walks up to her old house. Her hands shake as she opens the door, almost like she's scared. I know she is. I push past her, and Marcus is standing in his kitchen, pouring some drug into a glass of water. I sigh and walk up to him, hiding the knife in my sleeve.
      "Hey, sexy, I knew you'd come around again!" He slurs.
      "You know that everything was involuntary. And guess what? It's time to die!" I shove the blade into Marcus' stomach with ease. I watch him crumple to the ground, then look around. Evelyn seems to have disappeared. Suddenly, she comes walking down the stairs, holding a woman with dark brown hair. Her cheeks are wet with tears, her dress wrinkled at her hips. That's exactly how I'd look when I was permitted to leave this house again. And this woman is no stranger.
      "Natalie!" I cry out, and rush to hug her. Even if she's Andrew's wife, she is still Tris's mother.
      "Let's get you home," I say.
      "I'll be right back!" Evelyn says.
      Oh no. This means I'll have to bring Natalie home, I'll have to face Andrew again.
      "It's okay, Natalie. He's dead now," I whisper. The poor woman is shaking out of fear, and walking side to side. I put her arm around my shoulders and help her limp back to her house.
      When Andrew opens the door, he gasps in shock. Natalie falls into his arms, sobbing.
      "What did you do to her, Jeanine?" Andrew hisses.
      "Evelyn and I saved her from being raped by Marcus Eaton!" I snap.
      "Is this true?" He whispers, softly kissing Natalie's forehead. She nods.
      "Well, thanks, I guess. Now leave, please!" Andrew says, closing the door. Not hard enough for it to be a slam, but not soft enough for it to not hurt my feelings. I sigh sadly and turn around. Evelyn is approaching me, and behind her are two people, a man and a woman. They're walking closely together, as though they are unsure if they're safe or not. I instantly recognize who they are. I stand with my jaw wide open, unable of processing this information. It's really them.
      "I thought I owed you this," Evelyn said. I finally get a grip of my emotions, and run at the couple, throwing my arms around them.
      "I'm so glad you're safe!"