Chapter 21

Chapter 21

-Betrayal

Anna's POV

His head is in my lap as I run my fingers through his sooth thick black hair. He is not asleep. I can feel it. I can feel the anger and dread coming out of him. This is not something that I ever thought I will see in him. Isn't his sister being alive a good thing? Something is definitely wrong. Something big must have happened. What is it? What happened that shook Bane like this? Seeing the Big Bad Alpha lying down in my lap is scaring me.

If Alika is alive where is she? Why isn't Bane trying to bring her back? If she is alive why didn't he know all this while?

What about his friend James? How does all of this concern James? How did he come into the picture? What does he mean by Bane killing his mate? Maybe the world will believe it, but I don't think so. Bane would never do such a thing. Not to James when they are close friends. I don't think Bane is that fucked up.

I sigh and look down at him. He is looking at me now. Staring at me with those sea green eyes. They are not dark like they are most of the time. I cannot predict the emotions in his eyes. He seems lost. Completely lost. Now, this is scaring me. Never did I think that I will see him like this. This vulnerable and this sensitive.

My right-hand moves down to his jaw and slowly lays down on his cheek. His beard has grown out like a five O'clock shadow. My thumb caresses his lips. For a minute my eyes linger on them and them go back to his eyes. He is still staring at me, now into my eyes. So deep as though he is searching for something. For his relief, for his soul, in my eyes. And we just stare, I don't know how long.

I press my lips against his as I bend down giving him a soft kiss. I look up and he is still staring at me. I move my lips to his forehead to press a kiss there. I hold his face as I do so. I move my and whisper.

"Everything will be fine. Everything will work out." I run my hand through his hair. "I trust you. I don't know what it is, but we will work it out." I kiss his lips again. "Remember, we are a team."

I stop talking. There is silence again. A long silence. The crickets in the field are roaring louder than usual or maybe it's just silence that's making it sound louder. The moon in the dark sky will be full in two days. My fingers are still in his hair and I feel sad. It's not mine. This sadness is not mine. It's his. I feel as though my heart is heavy. These feelings are his that I am feeling rush through my body.

Looking down at him, I can only think of what might have happened that caused him so much pain. It doesn't sit well with me and my wolf seeing him like this. I want his sadness to disappear. I cannot ask him when he is such a state. Although a whole lot of scenarios and questions run through my mind as I think of the fight and the words James spoke.

Did Bane kill him? Or is James still alive?

What does he mean by Bane killing his mate? I don't think it might have happened. From what I got to understand from the past few days that I spent with Bane, I know for sure he didn't do it.

What did James tell that had Bane so worried?

Something is happening and I have to know.

"Bane, please. I want to know what happened." I follow him around the room as he puts on his clothes. He wouldn't tell me anything.

"No." His simple response. "I will deal with it."

"But I want to know. This matter obviously concerns me and it nowhere seems like it's a small issue that can be solved easily." I say as I follow him in front of the mirror as he combs his hair. Although he seems like he s less interested in doing it. I stand beside the mirror. I moved forward and put my hand on his, stopping from his current action and making him look at me. "Whatever it is I want to fight with you."