I close my eyes at the sound of the ocean. I hugged myself, it was still a little dark out but for some reason, this was the place where i felt safe. Well, safe than in my own home. I listened to the waves, trying to cleanse my mind from that horrid dream. But even the waves didn't push it away. Ugh! That fucking bastard! After all these years, he still manages to get under my skin. Different parts of the dream are playing out in my head. And yet i still focus on one thing. His hand on my neck, gripping it tightly. His words.....You can run but you can't hide.  My eyes opened and i remember when i was little, i used to run from him all the time but he would always catch me. 

I felt someone touch my back, interrupting my reverie and i stiffened, turning on my heels abruptly. My hands out in defense. Ethan was standing in front of me, in adidas sweats, adidas slippers, and a cut off(sleeveless) t-shit. His eyes wide and surprised at my stance. I relaxed and sighed, a hand at my heart. 

"A little jumpy aren't we?" Ethan observed. 

I let out a shake breath and smiled half heartedly. "Sorry. I just..." I shook my head, unable to speak anymore. 

He steps to me and takes my shaking hand in his. "Jeez, your freezing." He said, 

"I'm freezing? Your the one in a cut off shirt and your saying i'm freezing?" I asked in disbelief. But the difference was, he didn't feel cold. 

"Yeah well i'm kind of used to waking up and going for a run when i feel like it, especially in this nice cool weather. So this is nothing." He murmurs. 

I nod and really look at him. The lights from the dock reflecting on us. He looked tired. I grimaced. 

"I'm sorry i woke you up and made you come here." I said. He pulled me into his arms and i went willingly. 

"Don't apologize. You sounded strange on the phone...scared." He noticed. "What happened?" He asked. 

I licked my lips and took a deep breath. "I...i had a bad dream." I whispered. Oh lord! Even to my own ears it sounded stupid! What am i? Five? This embarrassing. I never realized before how embarrassing it would be to tell Ethan this but now...i groaned and turned away, putting my face in my hands. 

"Hey...Amelia-" Ethan said from behind me. 

I ran my fingers through my hair, feeling extremely stupid. "I must be crazy. I mean, i have you here at-" I look at my phone. "4:53 AM because i had a bad dream." I said exasperated. Now i sound like one of those whining girlfriends, craving for attention. I felt strong arms go around me and i relaxed. Ethan's head on the side of mine. I hugged his arms to me. 

"Your not crazy. Don't be embarrassed. People have bad dreams all the time. No matter what age." He said calmly, kissing my cheek. "What was your dream about?" he asked. 

"It was about him." I whispered. He tensed. 

"What happened in your dream?" He asked, carefully. 

I sighed. "I woke up in the house and no one was there. I walked into the front and still no one, then when i turned around, i was slapped right across my face. Before i knew it, he had me pinned against the wall, choking me. Then he whispered You can run but you can't hide. And he raised his fist as if he was going to hit me and before i felt the blow, i woke up. Scared, confused...."

"I mean...it felt so....real. And i felt like a little girl again. A helpless little girl." I whispered. His arms tightened around me. 

"It was just a dream babe." Ethan whispered. 

"I know...when i woke up i just...i had to see you. I needed you." I tell him boldly, looking out in to the ocean."But i hesitated...i mean, i realize now that it was a stupid reason to drag you out here..." I said shaking my head. I felt Ethan turning me around in his arms. He lifted my chin so that i could meet his gaze.