Chapter 42

Ethelia's pov

"You could try that leaf technique they teach in the academy." Obito suggested with a shrug, his hands stuffed in his pockets. We were currently searching for a place to eat. Obito had promised to pay, so I wasn't planning to eat too terribly much. A much as I would like to leave his bank account dry, he's been oddly nice these past few days, and I'd feel a little bad taking all his cash. Especially after he almost died grabbing me out of the air after I blew up half the fucking forest.  

Damn, I'm growing a conscience. 

"What's that?" I asked. I need to learn how to control my chakra, and if that means taking advice from this dunce, I'll do it. I don't want to kill any innocents. Sure, I don't have an appreciation for life, but that doesn't mean they don't. I'm not going to accidentally take that just because someone wants me to climb a damn tree.

Obito lit up like I'd just made his day by asking, which obviously made me regret it. He was talking before I could do anything. "Well, you get a leaf!" He said. "And then you try and make it stick to different parts of your body with chakra! It really, really, really helps with control." He stressed excitedly.

"Huh, maybe I'll give it a go." I muttered.

"Or..." Obito got a gleam in his eye. "We could sneak out of the village to practice. Then, you can destroy all the forest you want!"

"Literally everything about that sounds illegal." I said as we entered a small sushi shop. I'd never been in here before, but the lack of a crowd told me it wasn't too popular. Then again, it is that awkward time between breakfast and lunch, so maybe that's what it is. Who knows. I guess it doesn't matter. There aren't people here, and that's a win in my book.

"Not super illegal. Just like, a little bit." Obito assured as we took a seat. He slid into the seat across from me. We'd picked a booth by a window. The sun, surprisingly, felt good on my skin. That's a first. I guess I'm getting more and more used to being outside. Back in the civilian school, windows were pretty scarce. Obito continued. "Hey, can I ask a dumb question?"

"Better than anyone I know." I answered with a sigh.

"That's not what I... never mind." He grinned despite the fact that I just belittled his intelligence. Men. "My question is about... about that day you came and got me."

I groaned. This shit again. I highly, highly regret going to his apartment that day. "Is it about the doorknob? I can pay you back for that." I hoped that's all it was, and not about my little pep talk. I swear to god, that's the last time I'm ever showing support for anyone. Like, ever. I'm not even going to support my damn self I am so done with support.

"No! I was just going to ask if you really, really, for real think I'm cute! Like really!" Obito panicked, cheeks reddening. "You don't have to pay for the door knob! The landlord took care of it anyway." 

"Why're you asking me this again? Didn't I already ask this question?" My nose scrunched up. Before he could answer, I was saved by a waitress. I ordered two rolls while Obito got three. He probably knows I'm coming for his food after I'm done with my own. Smart guy. He's smarter than even I give him credit for, honestly. Or maybe he's just gotten to know me. I think the concept of him actually knowing me is scarier than him being smart, honestly.

I thought my suffering was over. I know, I know. I'm too hopeful for my own good. But Obito, of course, had to rain on my parade. He started to talk. Again. With his mouth. Disgusting, I know, but I can't exactly lean over and slap my hand over his face, can I? Cooties.

"What if you were just saying it out of pity though?" Obito asked in a hushed whisper.

"Why do you care?" I sipped my drink, my eyes narrowing. "We've been over this. The fact that you're double checking is weird as hell, and honestly, not my problem."

"Please." He begged, placing his hands together in front of him. I pressed my lips together. "Just look longer so you're sure or something."

"Fine. But only because you're paying for the sushi. And you better not try and stop me when I steal some of yours." I narrowed my eyes at him. He nodded rapidly. I sighed heavily. The things I do for food. Man, having friends sucks. I don't want to stare at his face. I don't like faces, not even my own, and I was literally born with that one. You'd think I'd have grown fond of it or something.

I stared at Obito's face. His cheeks colored under my gaze. He's got some baby fat left, but from what I can tell from his jawline, he's going to be hot when he's older. Mega hot. My ovaries honestly tingle just thinking about it. I can see the abs now. And the face. It'll slim down, no doubt, and his eyes will probably get sharper. 

"Well?" Obito whispered like what we were doing was scandalous.

"You're cute enough now, for sure." I nodded sagely, because yah boi knows. "But when you're older..."

"Oh no, what?" Obito looked stricken. Horrified.

"You're going to be really hot." I looked him in the eyes, which I never do. "Mega hot."

Obito's face lit up red, and our food arrived. I sipped my water. "You asked, so stop looking at me like that. Why'd you want to know? You in love with someone or something?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah." He muttered, shoving some sushi in his mouth. "I guess I am."