Chapter 36

Ethelia's pov

I could feel that something was wrong the second I stepped into the house. For one thing, all the lights are on. That's odd, especially for this hour. The more lights that are on pointlessly, the higher the bills are. Sure, the Hokage gave me a sack of cash, but I haven't gotten another one yet. I'm not sure if I will. 

"Dad, are you home?" I called into the house. I checked my appearance, grimacing. I'm covered in dirt and leaves; not to mention dirt. I don't know how I'm supposed to explain that. I am notoriously clumsy, however, so I guess I've got that going for me. There's not many other conclusions my dad could jump to other than that.

I entered the living room, removing my shoes as I did so. "Today was crazy. How was work?" I looked up, and I froze. My dad was there, sitting at the table. His hands were clasped together, and he was gazing down at them. That wasn't what made me freeze. It's the fact that there's an asshole sitting with him.

No, not Mark.

"Ryuki... what the hell are you doing in my house?" I asked, my voice no doubt coming out moderately horrified and numb. I can't imagine the look on my face. I can barely hear myself think, my heart is pounding so fast. I swallowed, my teeth clenching and unclenching as my jaw flexed. Ryuki grinned wickedly.

"I was in the neighborhood, so I thought I'd stop by to say hello." He stood up. "But I really should be going, now. It is quite late. I wouldn't want to impose on the happy family." 

"What did you do?" I hissed, my eyes narrowing. I was scared, but I was also pissed as all get out. He thinks he can just come into my house and not get castrated?! If I were one of those weird rat-skunk things that like honey and are super vicious, I'd so rip his damn face off.

My dad looked up at me. He looks absolutely devastated. "You're.... you're a ninja?" He croaked. I froze all over again, my eyes going wide. Ryuki brushed past me.

"Defy me again and I'll do far worse." He whispered as he brushed past me. I didn't react, too busy staring at my dad in absolute horror. He knows. Ryuki told him where I've really been going. I guess it's my fault for lying. I wanted to tell him, but I knew he'd have this sort of reaction.

"Dad, I can explain." I blurted out immediately. I winced. "I... I wanted to tell you, but-"

"It's true, then?!" He stood up at his full height. He looked near tears. "Y-You're a ninja?! Where were you last night? Were you safe?!"

"I was staying the night with a friend, I swear. I haven't been doing anything dangerous!" I swore.

"What about your broken foot?! That's wasn't Mark, was it?" He sounded pained. I've never lied to him before now... It makes sense that he'd react this way. If I were in his shoes, I would too. "Why would you choose this? You know how I feel about ninja!"

"I didn't choose this, I swear! The foot thing was just an accident. I wasn't attacked." I waved my hands in front of me in an absolute panic. Tears were forming in my eyes. Damn, I'm a pussy. I can feel my body getting lighter, too. "I'm safer than a bubble wrapped rock! I promise, dad!"

"What do you mean you didn't choose this?! How else would yo-"

"I CAN FUCKING FLY, OKAY?!" I screamed, tears falling from my eyes. I felt my body lift slightly, my feet leaving the ground as my chest heaved. My dad gaped.

"...Oh."

~

"Why does it have to be you?" My dad asked. I'd explained to him everything that had happened relating to me being a ninja. He's sort of in a weird state of shock that includes in pinching himself and asking me if this is real. I'd probably do the same if I were stuck in his shoes. 

"I don't know. I didn't choose to be an emotion-controlled bomb." I sighed, leaning back into the couch. "The money was too good to turn down."

"You can stop, Ethelia! I'll go back to work. We were making it before, we can make it again." My dad begged me, his eyes full of an immense sadness I'd never seen in his eyes before. It made me feel guilty. Guilty for lying, and guilty for putting him through this.

"I...I can't." I realized, frowning. I looked up at him. "Dad, they need me."

"I don't want you to get hurt. Do you know how many people die fighting in this damned war every day?" My dad asked desperately. I looked down again, my hands knitted together.

"I've finally made friends." I said quietly. "I know that's not the point, but I'm connecting with people now. Suddenly, I'm not so weird anymore. They're counting on me, and they've been working hard on me despite how hopeless I am." 

"Ethelia, no..." My dad was about to cry, and I could tell. I couldn't meet his eyes.

"I have an oddly large amount of chakra. It's so big that it can't be pinpointed exactly, and... they need me. Even if I can't fight, I'm a bank of chakra they can safely take from, and it won't affect me. That's how much I have." I said. "Doesn't the air tingle around me a little? Haven't you noticed the difference in the atmosphere when I'm not here?"

"I don't care. I've lived with it all my life, right? I didn't notice before." My dad was practically begging now. "Come on, Ethelia. Please. Stay where it's safe. Stay here at home."

"You can come meet my team tomorrow, if you want." My voice came out hoarse. I could practically hear my dad's heart drop. I have never felt more ashamed.

I'm am idiot. A lazy asshole. I hate upsetting people I care about, namely my dad.

But God dammit, as dumb as I may be, even I know how much I'm being relied on here.