Two

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained." Marie Curie

Rowan and Laurel gasped at their Dad's comment. No one spoke for several moments.

Rowan stood with her fists clenched. "That's not fair," she sputtered. "Laurel should be able to do what she wants with her life."

"I agree, but that's not the world we live in any longer," Samuel replied.

"I HATE IT HERE!" Rowan screamed, tears threatening to spill.

Laurel wrapped her arms around her sister. "It's fine. I just don't get to do what I want. In the end, Political Science would be useless due to the government set up. I'll still get an education."

Rowan slowly nodded. "Yeah, there's that I suppose. But you deserve more than someone else telling you what to do.

"I appreciate that sis, but I have to do what is asked of me," Laurel replied.

"Rowan, can you go head up to bed? We need to speak with your sister privately," Rebekah asked.

"Okay, I'm going to go shower," she replied.

Rowan stood in the shower and let the warm water run over her face. She had a sinking feeling that this college situation was not going to work out the way Laurel hoped. Rowan wanted to go to college too but was beginning to lose interest. What if she was chosen to do something entirely outside of her interests? The whole thing just didn't sit right with her.

When she finished her shower, she dried off and wrapped herself in her fluffy, white robe. After she brushed her teeth and her hair she went into her bedroom and found her father sitting in the chair across from her bed.

"Hey Dad," she greeted and moved to sit on the edge of her bed.

"So, we need to talk about something important," he began. "The Officials are cracking down on us about speaking about America. They're also starting to listen for people being treasonous. This means that you've got to start monitoring yourself."

Rowan wrinkled her nose, "But this is our home. Who can hear me in here?"

Samuel sighed, "Rowan, they could put recording devices in our homes and vehicles. It's best to get in the practice of supporting Icamera. You know that I don't like it any more than you do."

"Dad, I just don't understand. You told us after the fact that you saw what was happening. Why didn't we flee? You said that several of your co-workers left the country."

Samuel ran his hand across his forehead. "I haven't told anyone else this, not even your mother, so you have to keep what I'm about to say to you between us.

Rowan nodded. "I won't tell a soul."

"There were three families at the university that left, two in the history department and one from the music department. They had all decided to go to different places; Canada, Germany, and England. As they began their trek to the airport notices were sent out by the Officials that no flights were leaving the country. The news reported that other countries were not allowing immigrants into their countries. Many recited American immigration laws over the last century as their reason. Once the families reached the airport, they were detained by the Officials."

"Detained?" Rowan asked, horrified. "Then what happened to them?"

Samuel shook his head. "I'm not sure. The only reason I knew this much was because the government had the university president send it out as a warning."

"Those poor people," Rowan whispered.

"I wanted so badly for us to leave, I had been researching it and started to see that no other country would take us," Samuel stated.

Rowan looked up at her father. "I understand why we didn't leave. You didn't want to risk our safety. Why didn't you tell Mom what you just told me?

Samuel chuckled dryly. "Your mother would have insisted that we leave, no matter what. Her mama bear instincts would've have taken over. I knew that we were safer staying here."

"Well, you're not wrong," Rowan replied with a giggle. "I do understand why you told me about it. I will be more careful with what I say and who I say it around."

"Thank you, my sweet girl," Samuel replied as he stood up and walked to the bed. He leaned down and kissed Rowan on the top of her head. "Good night."

"Goodnight Dad," she replied. "I love you."

"To the moon and back?" He asked.

"Absolutely," she answered.

Once her dad left the room, Rowan changed into her pajama shorts adorned with foxes and an oversized black t-shirt. She padded into the bathroom to put her dirty clothes in the laundry basket and to brush her hair. As she stood in front of the mirror, she heard a noise coming from Laurel's bedroom. She walked over and lightly tapped on the door when she heard no reply she eased the door open.

Laurel was in bed under her covers lying in the fetal position. The noise Rowan heard was that of her sister crying. Rowan climbed into bed next to Laurel and threw her arm over her.

"It'll be okay," Rowan said softly.

Laurel cracked open her eyes. "How can you be so sure?"

"You are named after the Laurel tree, which symbolizes victory and honor," Rowan answered.

"You're the best sister. You're the best person I know. You're going to do great things one day. Heck, you might even save us all," Laurel replied with a smile spreading across her face.

Rowan made a face. "Yeah, whatever."

"I'm serious! Hey, do you want to sleep in here tonight?" Laurel asked.

"Of course I will," Rowan responded. "Let me go get my pillow."

Sometime during the night, the bedroom door opened. It was Rebekah checking on her daughters. She was relieved to find Rowan in there. She watched them sleep peacefully as Samuel came up behind her, peering over her shoulder.

"That's precious," he said. "It's going to wreck them when Laurel has to move across the country."